Why So Relaxed In Italy?

I think it is part of their culture. Also, I feel like once you leave any major city (London, NYC etc) life is a lot more relaxed. The major cities in Italy obviously are busier and more fast pace then the countryside, however, I don't think it compared to many other major cities.

I think so too - I guess to me the best way I can describe it is they focus on what is important - family and food. That probably sounds simplistic but I think it's a big part of why everyone I have met there seems so happy and content.

I think a lot of the relaxed state of life that some people have in Italy is down to the culture and the way of life.

Not everybody in Italy though is stress free, you only have to take a drive around Rome to establish that!

I have to agree with Pwarby, not everybody is laid back and stress-free and I think Italians lose their tempers the most when they are driving. Try to have a drive around during the rush hours, you would have a lot of fun.
In almost all the other aspects of their lives though, italians are very relaxed, it think it's in our culture. We tend to take what life as to offer with optimism in most of the cases. We don't like to rush things or to stress over something that can't be helped. We also like to socialize so it's not unusual to see complete strangers talk to each other at the bus stop, in a bar and in many other places. One of our favorite way of thinking is "Live and let live".

Reactions: pwarbi
On another thread were talking about how Italians are stigmatized and I think that's the same with the Italian way of life.

People think about living in Italy and they think it's all vineyards and rolling hillsides, nice and relaxing but that's not always the case.

I think is the culture, the way we eat it tells you everything.
When is time to eat is time to eat, I mean we seat "at the table" and spend some time to eat with the family.
That's why the fast food is American.
It seems an off topic but if you think more is not.

Enjoy the time you spend for eating,
enjoy Italian food!

I guess it's a European thing. I haven't seen it in the places I have traveled to in Asia, and it's mostly in European countries where they are so chill. Maybe it's the cooler climate, maybe it's the more stable economy, or maybe it's the food. I really can't tell what makes Italians so calm and composed, even when there's a sign of trouble coming their way. They would just buckle down, have a pint, and wait for it to blow over, and I think that's pretty great of them.