Segesta

Aurelia

Community Member
Nov 10, 2014
Sarajevo
Segesta is another one of the gems of the ancient world, second only to Agrigento’s Valle dei Templi, and is located in the western tip of Sicily. It is excellently preserved and its main temple is one of the world’s best examples of Doric architecture, which presumably dates to the 5th century BC — and some claim it is even better-preserved than the temples in Greece, which is remarkable. Segesta also includes a theatre from the 4th century BC, also excellently preserved.

Both attract a number of tourists.

Temple:
Greek-Temple-Segesta-Sicily.webp segesta_temple.webp

Theatre:
sicily_segesta_theatre_outview_center1_500x323.webp Segesta-Teatre-7527panoramic2.webp

Wow, thanks for the info and especially for the photos :)
I've never even heard of Segesta, this is all new to me :)

I do have some friends who live near Sicily, but I doubt any of them are willing to accommodate me for a few days to see Sicily. And it's so far away from where I live, it feels like I'd have to travel to the end of the world! :D

Is this also a UNESCO World Heritage Site?
I'm actually really interested in seeing as many UNESCO Sites as possible (in this lifetime :) ). Next on my list are some natural parks and other landmarks I stumbled upon online :) They're closer though, they're in Northern Italy.