Cities By The Lake - What To Visit?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
I have a question :)
I've been to Lake Garda quite a few times in the last 2 years. The "problem" though is that I've only been there for the beach, I never really thought of being a true tourist. I just looked for a parking spot, went on to the beach and then home...

So, does anyone know if there is anything interesting one can visit in the cities by the lake?
I plan on going at the end of December, because I have family coming to visit, and would love to get out of the house a bit, and since the lake is soooo beautiful, I thought it would be a treat if we go visit Desenzano or Sirmione or any other city by the lake (my dad is crazy in love with lakes, which is something I inherited from him :) lol!)

Anything would do... a museum, a historical sight, even a restaurant, if you can recommend a good one :)

I haven't been so I can't give you any personal information, but if I was in your position I would look into contacting a local tour guide, usually you might get some information even without hiring them for the day, since you are just looking for some broad suggestions.
Also once you are there, don't be shy to ask the locals for tips, they are usually the best tour guides, especially friendly people like Italians.

Greenway del lago di Como is a wonderful walk along Lake Como. You will find villas, gardens, Roman findings, quaint villages, restaurants, old Italian architecture, and expansive views. The whole Greenway is 10.5 km. Although much of the walk is on flat ground, be aware that there are some parts that go up the hill from the lake that are fairly steep.

^ Thank you so much for the tip :)
I've never actually been to lake Como before (planned to, this past December, but ended up doing going somewhere else instead..), so I didn't do a lot of research on it, so I've never even heard of this Greenway :)

I've looked up some images with the walk and it's amazing! It's like a fairytale :p
10 km isn't even that long, to be honest :) There is a path in the Peschiera del Garda town, at lake Garda, which goes along the lake, starting at one of the 2 beaches over there. It's so long, I have no idea how many km it has, but I know I've walked it 2 times and never got to finish it. And you can't even see it on google maps street view, because it's inaccessible by car :P So, such long walks are best to literally visit and see for yourself :)