Which Three Italian Cities Or Towns Are Your Favorite?

Webene

Community Member
Dec 14, 2014
If you had to pick three cities/areas to visit in Italy, where would you go?
For me, the major cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan are a must visit for anyone travelling to Italy for the first time. However, there are many more beautiful sights and towns that are lesser known. I have always wanted to see Mount Etna, so to those who have been what is it and Sicily like? Seeing the alps from Italy is a great experience so I would say Selva di Val Gardena is an amazing place to visit. Many tourists head to the big cities and regions, but if you want to avoid the large crowds without losing out on the culture and scenery of the country head to the neighboring regions.

Only three!
  1. I would say Cinq Terre, as there is nowhere else like it. The scenery is beautiful and it's so relaxed if you go out of season and on a weekday.
  2. Santa Margherita Ligure as it is located near major places and has it's own charm and is so easy to get around.
  3. Amalfi coast because it is breathtaking and you can get boats across to the islands from there too.

Tough question but I have a definite top 3...

Turin- a fabulous, elegant city with magnificent architecture, beautiful piazzas, great food wine and coffee, wonderful views, lots of great museums and sights, natural beauty close by, friendly people, and unspoilt by tourism, for some reason still seemingly under the radar with visitors to Italy.

Florence- the first place I visited in Italy will always have a special place in my heart, I've been 3 times. Yes it's touristy, but it has a unique magical atmosphere and beauty.

Montepulciano- high on a hill in the breathtaking countryside of southern Tuscany, this is the most enchanting place I've ever been to, far from the big cities and the crowds. It's not a place where you can be constantly busy with sightseeing and things to do, it's a place to enjoy peace and natural beauty, and relax. Wander its narrow streets, take in the views all around, enjoy the local food and wine, visit a vineyard or 2 from the area...

I think the general consensus was that picking three cities was too difficult. Nonetheless, some great suggestions here, with some I have never heard of. Montepulciano sounds very similar to Umbria, where my friend went. His description was like yours - away from the big cities and crowds, but still possessing all the qualities that Italy is famous for. It sounds quite magical wandering around the streets and vineyards. It's amazing how much diversity in scenery you can see throughout all the Italian cities. Also, the excellent food, especially pizzas, and great wine is a bonus in most of the cities. I love the culture and architecture you can see in some of the cities, which really highlights the depth of history in Italy.

Ohhh... this topic is just not fair! :P

I didn't visit that many cities, to be able to make a top 3. I can't even make a top 2, for that matter :D

However, Venice... is perfection!
It has water (which I love, love, love), it has amazing architecture, it has typical Italian narrow streets which are just awesome, did I mention the waters? :D
I'm pretty sure that no matter how many cities I will visit in this lifetime, Venice will always be my number one!

For now, second on my list, I'd have to say Peschiera del Garda. It's small, it's cute, and it's so well maintained. The streets are clean and well kept (flowers everywhere, trees, peace and quiet overall), the buildings are very well kept (most of them, don't imagine everything's perfect), the people are so nice! (you don't feel the need to avoid anyone, like in some neighborhoods in the big cities), and, again, WATER! I've seen other cities by the lake, but this one is, for now, my favorite.

As for the number 3... I have absolutely no idea. I guess I'd have to say Genoa. The architecture is amazing, and to me, Genoa is perfection: it combines the mountain relief with the sea, and this to me is very special. It's a bit crowded though, and there are way too many tourists who get "assaulted" by street vendors, this is why it's in the 3rd place and not the first or second on my list :P

Montepulciano sounds very similar to Umbria, where my friend went. His description was like yours - away from the big cities and crowds, but still possessing all the qualities that Italy is famous for. It sounds quite magical wandering around the streets and vineyards.
Montepulciano is actually very close to the border from Tuscany to Umbria, the landscape is basically continuous, with a seemless border between the 2 regions. Like Southern Tuscany, Umbria has many small hill towns, but only one major city, Perugia.

I guess my choices are a bit of a cliché, but I love Rome for all it has to conquer. Monuments and museums, it has it all. I love Venice for it Gondolas and romantic canals. I also love the venetian masks and masquerades. My third choice is Cortona because I love Tuscany and I may be a little biased because of the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun. It's a Tuscan hill town that preserves its history beautifully.

Cortona is an interesting choice, it looks beautiful. I have been passed it on the train from Chiusi to Florence, and could see it on the hill. I'd love to go there one day.