Where To Go On A Mountain Vacation In Italy?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
I have recently found out that my sister is coming to visit! I can't wait!
Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until winter, she's coming in December.

Anyway, I though it would be a great idea to take a trip to the mountains and stay there for a few days and explore the area, maybe go skiing (I've never done that but I'm willing to try).

What places can you recommend for a winter vacation in the mountains? It would be great if it were in Northern Italy but other places are OK too :)

Any suggestions?

Dolomiti, beautiful pink mountains. If there's enough snow, you can sky through the whole "Carosello delle Dolomiti", that is a huge maze of ski slopes. The food is great, people are nice and the organization is good. prices are high.
Cortina D'Ampezzo, Ortisei, Madonna di Campiglio, Corvara are my favourite cities. Christmas is very suggestive, but the days are short and you can't ski that much. February is better for the daylight.
In northern italy you can ski even in the summer, on the "ghiacciai" with snow all year long.

I usually go to trentino area in August as I prefer to escape the summer heat when I'm off work. I normally go to Folgaria, which is perhaps more popular during the winter months when the Ski slops come alive.

Folgaria is small town in the mountains and lots of ski slops to choose from.

December would be a great time to visit and it's not too far off the motorway.

Alright! Thanks guys, for all the replies :)

I really had no idea where to go as I've never been to the mountains in Italy. Everyone keeps saying how great it is though. I've seen pictures from ski resorts my friends have been to but I can't really afford anything that pricey, we will be 4 people when the time comes.