Where Do Italians Usually Go On Vacation?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
So, from a foreigner's point of view, even if I live in Italy, I still want to have my vacations here, but it seems to me that many Italians go on vacation in other countries :p

I noticed that many of them prefer Croatia, for the summer vacation, and Switzerland, for the winter vacation. With so much to see on the Italian seashores and so many mountains in Italy, I find it odd, but hey who am I to judge :P

So, I was wondering, do Italians prefer to go on vacation in another country or do they usually remain in Italy?

From what my Milanese friend told me, people in Milan enjoy holidaying in the North around Bergamo, the lakes, and in the lower eastern Orobie Alps between Bergamo and Brescia. I was up at Valbondione two summers ago and the whole place was swarming with Milanese tourists! Every car driving up from the south had a Milanese licence plate!

From what my Milanese friend told me, people in Milan enjoy holidaying in the North around Bergamo, the lakes, and in the lower eastern Orobie Alps between Bergamo and Brescia. I was up at Valbondione two summers ago and the whole place was swarming with Milanese tourists! Every car driving up from the south had a Milanese licence plate!
Yes agree , north Italy is preferred by many of vacationers . Milan , Como , Venice are good to stay and spend holidays

When I lived in France it seemed many Italians would trickle into Paris for their vacations. I'd often hear Italian on the streets there. I'm not sure how common this really is though and how much I just noticed because I was learning Italian at the time!

Well then, I'm glad I live in the North as well! :)

I know for a fact they don't go on vacation to Africa, South of Italy, but they do like to go abroad and visit France, Switzerland and I think Greece and Croatia are on their favorites list.

I know it's not a general rule, I was just asking out of curiosity, where do Italians usually go on vacation.
For instance, people from Eastern Europe usually prefer to visit the Black Sea (Turkey is nice, but Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria are also popular destinations. Also, they visit Greece a lot and Croatia. Those are the 'standard' destinations, so I thought, maybe Italians have some locations in Europe or in Italy they usually opt for.

I guess this depends on where the Italian is from.I know many Italians that are originally from the south but live in the north for work reasons. Every year, they spend most of their August holidays in their home towns in the south. I guess this is to catch up with family and friends as they live far away.

I have also noticed that quite a few friends from the north (where I live) went to Spain this year. I have heard that Croatia is a popular destination too for Italians.

No doubt, Italy is one from most visited county by visitors, north Italy is like heaven on earth, lakes and nature beauty are main attraction there. Como is favourite place for holidays of Hollywood stars, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Robert De Niro visit como regularly, a recent news about Robert De Niro, he looking for property at lake como. One more good thing about como is its near to Switzerland. so if you are planing vacation in Italy, you can also choose Como for your Holidays. Some local real estate agencies like PALC offer luxury villas for rent and sale there.

Some people prefer to take domestic holidays others can't wait to go to another country and have new experiences. I am guessing that Italians are no different from anyone else in this respect. I should say that my girlfriend's family always go the same place by the coast.

It's really interesting to think about where the people that live where you go on vacation would go on vacation. I guess I never really thought about it, what a different way to look at things! I'm a Canadian, and I haven't encountered many Italians on holidays here, but then again I don't live in a particularly touristy area.

Hey, that's right! :) Everyone who comes to Italy goes to see Venice or Rome or go to the seaside... but there are millions of people already living there!

I remember last year, I went to the seaside for one day (from morning to evening, it was a sunny Sunday). I went for a swim, then layed in the sun.. but then thought about climbing some rocks and just relax on the rocks (because it was a lot more quiet than on the beach). So, I sat there and, from the rocks I could see how many apartments were facing the sea shore, how many people actually get up in the morning and they see the seaside in front of them, every day. How lucky they must be! But I never wondered if they ever get bored of it :D

I do believe that a lot of people enjoy holidaying in Italy itself. As said before there is quite a lot to see and enjoy in Italy itself. The northern part of Italy has so many beautiful tourist place that people enjoy going to. I guess that the people who have been living for centuries in Italy, only prefer to go to foreign countries.