What Region Do You Recommend For A First Time Visitor To Italy?

mommy42

Community Member
Aug 9, 2013
I am hoping to go some day........maybe when the kids are both out of college! ;-) What region is recommended for first time visitors? Or regions? Thanks!

Well.... every region has very interesting places to see or, you know.. to eat :D
I have only visited a few cities here in Italy but if it were me, I'd visit the regions with a sea shore. Like, Liguria or Toscana, to the west. They are very beautiful regions and I think that the sea here is cleaner (at least it's what I heard).

Calabria and Sicily are also great options, I've never been to South Italy but I've heard many good things.

Actually, I don't know if there's a best option you can choose from but you could just close your eyes and put your finger on Italy's map :p I'm sure whatever you pick will be great!

If you could make it to the beautiful island of Capri, that would certainly make your day. However, with the summer holiday seasons in our midst, it can get very crowded with both locals and tourists.
Sicily is amazing as well, I would highly recommend a hike around the Mt Etna area and a visit to the beautiful town of Catania.

Reactions: Chillout
Some good suggestions so far and there are so many places to suggest it kind of makes it hard as Italy is quite big and not everything is so close together.

What kind of things would you like to see?
Do you prefer to base yourself in a city, by the sea, mountains or by a lake?
What time of year?
Would you like to stay in one area or will you hire a car to travel around?

As as you say you have never been before, I presume you will arrive by air? The main International Hub airports are Milan (In the north) and Rome (Central Italy) although some of the smaller international airports do have flights worldwide and many have direct flights with other European cities.

Without knowing the above it's very hard to suggest, however if you was to arrive in Milan during the summer months, I would suggest you visit the Lake Garda area. The lake is very big and has something for everyone. (except for the sea) Also, you could do some day trips to Milan, Verona or Venice as they are a short train ride away. (within a few hours)

Well - lets see - beaches definitely! But preferably ones that don't have too many vendors!! As I am learning on these forums.
I LOVE to shop and eat! I'd like to try some of the cuisines that are local to Italy - not too picky about that - just want to try things I wouldn't be able to get here!!

I would arrive by air. Is summer a good time to come? Is it hot in Italy then? Is there a time of year that is moderate for temperature? I'm used to high 80's low 90's in MT - so I wilt when it is over 90! ;-)

I would also love to see the sea!! I'm in the Mountains - Montana - so we have lakes, rivers and streams but obviously no sea!!! LOL

Some "ruins"; the Tuscany region - it seems that the region is always featured in paintings, etc - so I am intrigued by that I guess.

Thanks so much for your suggestions thus far! :)