Venice's First Woman Gondolier

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
Did you know that Venice has a woman who works as a gondolier? :)
I just found out about this, but it looks like she got her license back in 2010.

Her name is Giorgia Boscolo and she is the first woman to work as a gondolier in history. Since 1094, there were only men who worked as gondoliers.

What do you think?

Rosie, I am in two minds about this. Whenever I think of a romantic gondolier ride, I want to see a gondolier man smiling and maybe singing. If it is a woman, all the men taking these rides will keep their eyes on the Gondolier lady instead of on their own ladies. :rolleyes: :D;)

Reactions: Rosie
Florentina, good thinking! ;)

It's true, on one hand, it's possible that this might happen, it's not like seeing a woman guide your gondola is a regular thing you see every day!
On the other hand, this woman fought a lot for her right to work as a gondolier but she was rejected because of her sex. As a woman, I have to say that's discrimination and a big shame for the 21st century. However, I know, I know... not all jobs are OK for women.

If it makes you feel any better, Florentina, the female gondolier is not even that pretty but don't tell anyone I told you that :D hihih!!

I think this young woman has done very well and it's good to see a female gondolier. Under European law any job should be available to both men and woman. I know there is a tradition with the gondolier but still, if she passed all the exams and fits all the criteria apart from being female then why not?

Reactions: Florentina
I agree totally with all of you. If she passed the exam, why not! Obviously this must have been her life dream; look how happy she is on the picture. I think I will tell my hubby that he will be thrown overboard (by me) if he looks at this lady too much. ;)

First? Really? I had no idea this is such a male dominated field. Good for her! I hope she's really great and shows everybody that women can work as gondoliers, too. I wonder why they never had female gondoliers before... Discrimination is a terrible thing and it's sad that it still exists in this century. I hope we will get more female gondoliers in the future!

Well, from what I've read on the internet, the gondoliers have almost 1,000 years of existence. This has been a business that dates back a lot and there were only men who were fit to work as gondoliers.

If it were me, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to work as one, you need some strength to row the boat on the waters and I kind of lack muscles :D But, yeah, it doesn't mean other women can't work as female gondoliers!