Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Venice's First Woman Gondolier

Discussion in 'Venice' started by Rosie, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Did you know that Venice has a woman who works as a gondolier? :)
    I just found out about this, but it looks like she got her license back in 2010.

Her name is Giorgia Boscolo and she is the first woman to work as a gondolier in history. Since 1094, there were only men who worked as gondoliers.

What do you think?

2. Rosie, I am in two minds about this. Whenever I think of a romantic gondolier ride, I want to see a gondolier man smiling and maybe singing. If it is a woman, all the men taking these rides will keep their eyes on the Gondolier lady instead of on their own ladies. :rolleyes: :D;)

Rosie likes this.
  3. eheeh good one Florentia :p

4. Florentina, good thinking! ;)

It's true, on one hand, it's possible that this might happen, it's not like seeing a woman guide your gondola is a regular thing you see every day!
    On the other hand, this woman fought a lot for her right to work as a gondolier but she was rejected because of her sex. As a woman, I have to say that's discrimination and a big shame for the 21st century. However, I know, I know... not all jobs are OK for women.

If it makes you feel any better, Florentina, the female gondolier is not even that pretty but don't tell anyone I told you that :D hihih!!

5. I think this young woman has done very well and it's good to see a female gondolier. Under European law any job should be available to both men and woman. I know there is a tradition with the gondolier but still, if she passed all the exams and fits all the criteria apart from being female then why not?

Florentina likes this.
  6. I agree totally with all of you. If she passed the exam, why not! Obviously this must have been her life dream; look how happy she is on the picture. I think I will tell my hubby that he will be thrown overboard (by me) if he looks at this lady too much. ;)

7. First? Really? I had no idea this is such a male dominated field. Good for her! I hope she's really great and shows everybody that women can work as gondoliers, too. I wonder why they never had female gondoliers before... Discrimination is a terrible thing and it's sad that it still exists in this century. I hope we will get more female gondoliers in the future!

8. Well, from what I've read on the internet, the gondoliers have almost 1,000 years of existence. This has been a business that dates back a lot and there were only men who were fit to work as gondoliers.

If it were me, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to work as one, you need some strength to row the boat on the waters and I kind of lack muscles :D But, yeah, it doesn't mean other women can't work as female gondoliers!