Vacation Group Or Solo?

AdventureBoots

Sep 29, 2011
As I've been planning my trip to Italy, I have also been considering whether or not I am going to by myself. I was considering buy a spot on a package so I can go with a group of others. It would come with room, food, plane, and a tour guide. Do you think that would be a better experience than going alone?

If it's your first trip, it's sometimes better to go with a vacation group. You'll want to see all of the "tourist" spots and going with a group can be nice because you don't have to worry about navigating your way around in a strange city.

Of course on subsequent trips you might want to go it on your own so you can take your time at the places you like best and skip the places you don't want to revisit.

Reactions: Luca
My sister is widowed and often goes on solo holidays where she meets other singles, however she also enjoys going with a single friend who has similar tastes so that they can do things together. I think that you will enjoy the trip however you decide.

If it's your first trip, it's sometimes better to go with a vacation group. You'll want to see all of the "tourist" spots and going with a group can be nice because you don't have to worry about navigating your way around in a strange city.

Of course on subsequent trips you might want to go it on your own so you can take your time at the places you like best and skip the places you don't want to revisit.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that going with a group would relieve a lot of anxiety I have about the trip. I kind of worry about how I'm going to get by and how to make sure I'm following proper customs. Plus I imagine that going solo the first time might get a little too lonely for me.

I can't even imagine how going solo on a vacation would feel like. I'm a social person, I need to be around people! :confused:

When I was young (a kid, actually) we used to go on vacation with the whole family. Then, as I grew up, my parents had other ideas of fum on vacation so we took our trips separately but I would always go with either my sister and her friends or with my friends.

Going on vacation alone sounds... lonely. But if that's your thing then you should try going to a quiet place, like a nice beach or in the mountains, where nature will be your companion ;)

Going with a group or package type holiday can be a great way to see more of the country / city as they will probably have an itenerary planned and you won't have to worry about the language either as the guide will be bilingual.

Some packages also have many excursions in them helping you to see more.

The only downside I can see is that your restricted to the package itenerary.

In Italy, I prefer to arrange everything myself but that's because I live here, can speak Italian and know the country pretty well.

If I was going to a foreign country for the first time and I did not speak the local language I would probably choose some kind of minimal package that includes flights, hotel, and transport with the option of some excursions.

If it's your first time in Italy, I really recommend going with a group, especially if you don't speak Italian. While it is very westernised, it is still a very different culture and it can be easy to get confused. The great thing about tour guides is sometimes they can take you to places that are more off the beat and track.
The First time I went to Italy I went with a group, and now that I am more comfortable in the country I can manage it with a few friends.
There is also the added benefit of being able to group entrances, where the lines are much shorter and you can get in more easily!

It depends. I hate travelling with a group or a guide because it slows me down. I have a different pace and I like to plan my trip in advance and see some unusual places that aren`t mentioned in the usual guides. A local can offer you more insight about Italy than a guide. Some places aren`t as popular as the ones that appear in most tours, but they are still worth your time. The internet has a lot of resources so you can narrow your searches and look for something that interests you while visiting Italy. You can still have some decent discounts on different packages even if you travel alone. And you can search for places to visit on the internet and then decide if you really want to see them or not. I like travelling alone because it`s a break from the place I live in, from work and from the rest of the people. It`s "me" time and that`s why I always prefer to travel alone.