Traveling With Kids To Italy

Chelsea

Community Member
Jun 5, 2013
We are planning a trip to Italy in September 2013. I have two teenagers (daughter 16 and son 14). My son loves anything outdoors and my daughter loves to shop. Can anyone give ideas on where we should go? We want to see the sights that make Italy so important. We are still in the planning stage so any help would be great.

Well, I think you are going to have decide between northern or southern Italy? Or perhaps both?

The south is much better if your looking to relax on a beach as the seas are much cleaner. There is lots to see in the south, such as Rome, Amalfi coast, etc... You could even visit the island of Sicily.

If you choose the north, I guess you will arrive in Milan, there is plenty to do and all fairly close by.

I would suggest staying in an area such as Lake Garda. The lake has amusement parks such as Gardaland, Movieworld and Waterparks as well as other activities on the lake for your son.

If your daughter loves shopping then Milan is the fashion Capital of Italy.

Other cities that you can visit on a day trip by train are: Verona and Venice

In early September, you should still find nice weather in all of Italy.

Wow, Chillout really gave some great ideas!

How are you travelling Chelsea?
If you're taking the plane and you choose Northern Italy as your place for a vacation, then make sure you land in Milan, as Chillout said. You could also land in Bergamo (on the Orio al Serio airport), there are malls and interesting places over there too. I specifically remember one huge shopping mall right near the airport!

If your son loves outdoor activities than you could choose to visit one of the themed parks, such as Gardaland or Mirabilandia or you could just choose one of the parks in the Lombardy region, there are plenty (Cowboyland in Voghera, Europark Idroscalo near Milan, Minitalia or others).

If you want to see the sites most tourists visit, you want to go to Venice, Verona (where Romeo and Juliet's balcony is), Florence, Pisa with its leaning tower, and Milan. The Cathedral in Milan was one of the most spectacular sights I ever saw. Travelling by train is safe and it will take you wherever you want to go.