Traveling By Motorcycle

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
I visited some old friends not too long ago (old, as in they are way over 50) and they were thrilled that, in the paste few years, they went on all their vacations with their motorcycle! He was driving, she was the passenger and they carried a light and small luggage.

They went and saw some parts of Europe this way, traveling on the bike. Doesn't that sound like fun?

It made me wonder why don't many more people try this, I have only seen a few Italians traveling on vacation by motorcycle, most of them take the plane or go by car. The bike sounds more fun!

It sounds like great fun Rosie. I guess it all depends on the weather. I know many that use their motorbikes for a day trip or long weekend in Italy.

Yesterday, I was at lake Garda and it was full of people on their bikes. A great way to avoid the traffic and take in the beautiful scenery.

You went to the lake! How nice!

The only problem with bikes is that the risk of having an accident is a lot higher than when you travel by car. But it's true, it's a lot more fun. A lot!

Before I came to Italy I had lots of bikers in my group of friends, they were thrilled to take their bikes on a long trip. My personal problem with bikes is that... I can't use one, I barely can hop on my bicycle and not fall face down :D

I visit the lake often as I have friends that live in Verona and it's not too far away.

They always travel by motorbike when visiting the lake as it's the quickest way to get around. Most of the time the traffic is heavy and on a bike you just jump the queues. You don't travel that fast as you have to be alert for pedestrians but I think it's a fantastic way to travel.

I am like you @Rosie, I don't have any experience of riding except for a small scooter when I was younger.

I am not sure if I would enjoy riding on the motorway though. A slow ride to take in the views is nice but doing 130 KMH on the motorway could be a challenge.