Travel Agencies Or 'do It Yourself'?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
Before going on vacation, how do you usually plan things?
Do you prefer to choose a travel agency and let them take care of everything or would you rather book plain tickets and hotel rooms yourself?

I can't remember the last time I used a traditional travel agency. I always book through the internet as it's quicker and usually save some money too. I have seen some interesting packages though that include flights, hotel, breakfast and transport all included in the price. I think this type of package is good if you are visiting a country where you don't speak the local language.

I have never used a travel agency myself but I have a friend who used to own one. He said he had to sell it because they were losing a lot of clients since now people don't travel as much as they did before and also, there's the internet you can use to book flights, hotels and so on.

I have not booked a vacation through a travel agency ever. I might get help with this one though. I'm from NY and want to visit Italy in September. I might chat with a travel agent just to get some ideas on where I should go.

I think that it depend where you go.
I'd go with no travel agency in Europe and North America, but perhaps I'd get some help to travel in South America or Africa.

I'm a big fan of the do it yourself approach. I think that if you're an older traveller or maybe if you're travelling with very young children, you might want to use an agency. Or maybe if it's your first time travelling and you're super timid. I like being able to plan my own trips and decide by myself where I get to eat and at what hotels I stay the night at.

Yes, that is a good point, erika. It's better to decide yourself, and nowadays it's not even that hard to plan a vacation.
You just go online and book a room (that booking.com website is ideal, it has everything you need and prices are very good). Also, you can find so much information online nowadays, you just have to know how to Google stuff and to know how to read :D haha

I think many of us here, do not use high street travel agents that much.

I like the idea of do it yourself too and the internet is a great place to gain information.

That said, I still see quite a few high travel agents in most Italian towns so some people must still use them.

I guess it all depends on the country you are visiting. If it's a safe country then you can easily plan things yourself .

I used to travel with traveling agencies helping me sort things out. But I realized I can do it myself and not pay for the charges they give me for their services. It's pretty easy really, all you have to do is do an extensive research of the places that you will have to book in Italy like the hotels and car services if you prefer that. AS for what I did, I managed to find some travel coupons. You just really have to be resourceful.

The last time I went to Italy we booked the villa ourselves and got flights independently. I much prefer that to using a travel agency.

Just yesterday I heard that some people got scammed... again... by a travel agency. I don't think all agencies are like that, I just think there is also a risk involved if you're not careful.

I prefer to just get a room from a reliable website, or even call the hotel and book it over the phone, it's much cheaper than what agencies charge :D

Plus, Rosie is right, the internet is full of information now, compared to years ago when you couldn't google too much stuff.