Trains In Italy

jes

Community Member
Aug 3, 2006
Italia
Trains In Italy

The official website for trains in italy is www.trenitalia.it

Trains in Italy are very reasonably priced and they often have great offers like 15 euro to anywhere in Italy on intercity trains.

Have a look at the website for other offers as they change quite often. You can also buy tickets online. The website is great for timetable information but if you do buy a ticket then be careful as it does not select the lowest fare for you.

Trains are a great way to travel in italy although i tend to only do the smaller journeys. (No more than 4 hours)

If you travel from the north to the south its well worth taking the eurostar trains which cost more but is much faster, cleaner and the air con works. they always have an english speaking ticket inspecter onboard so if you have any question that can be useful if you dont understand the lingo well.

I have taken many train journeys in Italy but mainly from the north to the south in the past but its just too long and slow. Its easier for me to jump on a plane and im there in just over an hour. yes, you pay much more i know but you dont loose a day sleeping as your very tired after a 10 hour train journey.

You can check specific schedules and prices here: http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/

If you're going from Rome to Venice, I would suggest taking the night train - get a berth and sleep through the night. You won't have to pay for a hotel for that night and it maximizes the time you have for sightseeing.

You can save a little money on the faster trains by buying a ticket at least a day in advance of your trip at the discounted Amica fare.

The slower regional trains are the least expensive, but to go long distances using only regional trains, you may need to make several train changes and it takes a lot longer.

I hate changing trains (or planes for that matter), so my traveling might be best to do short jaunts. I appreciate the information; it's given me a lot to consider in my personal trip planning.

The trains are great in Italy and are easy to use and very cheap, I agree about chaging trains though so do try and use them for shorted journeys.

Re: Trains In Italy

Trains in Italy are very good. Train travel in Italy is less expensive than other countries in Europe. The eurostar trains which cost more but is much faster, cleaner and the air con works.

And if you want to go even faster than the normal eurostar take the Freccia Rosa. Travels at 300KM an hour with a record speed of 361km.

Traveling by train is always the best way to go in my opinion. It may take a little bitter longer than some other modes of transportation, but I think that this way provides the best value.

I've used the trains from Sorrento to Naples whilst over in Italy and whilst they were regular and on time , they were also quite crowded. This may be because this is a tourist line so my tip is to get your tickets in advance from tobacco kiosks if possible. Also , be careful on Naples station as its legendary for its pickpockets !

Trenitalia are no longer the only operator in Italy. There is a new company called Italo that operates high speed trains only within Italy. They started off with just one route but have grown over the last few years. I have never used them but a friend of mine uses them frequently.

Hmm, I did not know about this Italo you mentioned. It's news to me!

I have traveled by train every day for 2 years, while I went to college. It was a pain!! Don't get me wrong, the trip was OK, it was the fact that it's so very tiring that makes me avoid trains at any cost now.

I remember I used to pay 60 Euros for a monthly pass. And I remember that one month I traveled for free :D There were many strikes at the time and many trains either came very late or didn't come at all so, with all the confusion and chaos that Trenitalia created (oh, it was during the exams session too!!) they decided to let people have a monthly pass for free if they were using them regularly.

I agree in general train are a pain :P
Italo it's new and for what I've heard (never tried it yet) they have fair price and a better service, but they just cover some city /the biggest)

It looks like it does cover some big cities. I have found the map of the collegamenti here.

They cover Milan, Venezia, Torino in the north, Padova and Bologna going down, going down further: Florence, Rome, Naples and Salerno.

They look quite organized.
And the prices look fair enough to me. I searched for how much a trip costs, from Milan to Salerno. If you book it in advance, you can travel the long distance with only 50 Euros. It's half the price trenitalia offers (I checked out of curiosity).

When I took the train from Naples to Rome it was a long trip but definitely worth it. Just being in a different country and seeing how they travel long distances on trains much faster then the ones in the United States was an interesting experience on its own.

When I took the train from Naples to Rome it was a long trip but definitely worth it. Just being in a different country and seeing how they travel long distances on trains much faster then the ones in the United States was an interesting experience on its own.

Naples to Rome is only a few hours or less with the high speed trains. One good thing about Naples or Rome is that you can connect to Northern Italy quite quickly. The problem with the trains right now seems to be deep in the south. Places such as Puglia and Calabria are not served on the high speed route. Hopefully this will change over the next few years. Sometimes I take the train from Bologna to Taranto which normally takes around 9 hours on the Intercity trains.