Top 5 Locations In Sicily

Aurelia

Community Member
Nov 10, 2014
Sarajevo
Well, I have done some research and compiled a list of five best locations to visit. Sicily itself is very beautiful, but there are some things you simply must see, so here's what I like:

1) Valley of the Temples - for all those lovers of history, this is a perfect place: Agrigento was a city of great importance in Ancient Greece. Close to Agrigento is the so called Valley of the Temples with Doric temples facing the sea: to Concordia and Juno, but also the unfinished Temple of Zeus.

2) Mount Etna - Dangerous... perhaps, but very thrilling. During the winter, visitors come to ski, for example. The beauty of the volcano itself is enough to make us wish to visit, if nothing, see it from afar.

3) Aeolian Islands - Believe it or not, they attract the most tourists. These seven islands are the result of volcanic activity (don't know whether they're dangerous like Etna, but they're certainly beautiful). They're popular for their villages and resorts.

4) Palermo - It's Sicily's capital, but the charm is in its age - Palermo was founded by Phoenicians. That's all I need to say.

5) Villa Romana del Casale - Old Roman villas have always inspired me, especially the mosaics (I won't mention the process of making them). This one has one of the largest and best-preserved collections of ancient mosaics in the world.

If you have more ideas, please do share them.

I love Sicily and have lost count of the amount of times I have been (my family is from a town called Randazzo located at the foot of Etna). At some point, if I am ever able I would love to emigrate there, but I digress...

1. Maybe I'm being a little bias, but I do love Randazzo, it has beautiful houses & cobbled streets in the old part of the town and the Churches are amazing, my favourite is the Basilica di Santa Maria, I am awestruck each time I see it (and I've seen it many times).
  2. If you can make sure you visit Taormina, it has an ancient Greek/Roman Theatre (there is debate as to which), definitely worth a visit but beware as it is a tourist location prices are steep.
  3. I'm told that San Vito Lo Capo is also amazing, my sister and brother-in-law visited for the day and they loved it, they plan on spending a week there when they next go. My work colleague also spent two weeks there and told me the sea there was one of the most beautiful she has seen. It is on my list of places to visit when I am next out there.
  4. The Castle of the Nelsons (known by the locals as Il Castello di Maniace - not to be confused with the Castello Maniace in Syracuse), as the name suggest it was once owned by Admiral Nelson. My mother and aunt worked there in the early 60s as maids and took us to see it a couple of years back, at the time the main building was closed for refurbishment, but we were allowed to walk the grounds, which was great and brought back memories for my mum and aunt.
  5. As a last point, I won't list another location, but instead just say make sure you try all the food, it is delicious and you'll definitely come back a few kilos heavier. Some of my favourites are Arancini (deep fried stuffed rice balls), Cannoli (deep fried pastry tubes stuffed with a sweet filling of ricotta, chocolate or vanilla pastry cream), Granita (semi frozen dessert - often had for breakfast with a brioche) and Paste di Mandorla (Almond soft biscuit/pastry), I could go on and on, but I think you get the gist.
All I can say is if you haven't been, definitely consider it as a destination for your next trip, your only problem will be trying to fit in everything you want to see in one trip.

Here is my choice for the Top 5 Places in Sicily. They have to do more with the towns and natural environments.

1. Aeolian Islands: The beaches are exceptional and the cuisine is fantastic. It is a great place for seafood.
2. Agrigento: It is where several Greek temples are located, including the Temple of Concord. Although the "Valley of the Temples" is a major attraction, it is also surrounded by olive groves and almond orchards.
3. Cefalù: There's an ancient Sicanian temple on the rocky cliff overlooking the town, and the ruins of a castle. The town itself offers pleasant narrow medieval streets and interesting shops. There's also a public beach.
4. Erice: It is a hilltop town with grey stones that form Punic walls, a castle, church and medieval streets. The local pastries there are fantastic.
5. Mount Etna: It is Europe's greatest natural wonder. This is Sicily's highest mountain.

I love this forum! It brings back memories of the 3 years I spent in Sicily while my spouse was in the military. I loved visiting Mt. Etna and was there when she erupted in the 80's. We took a trip up the mountain and went as far as we could (and were permitted to go), just to get some photos of the lava. We walked until we could no longer walk on the lava, our tennis shoes beginning to melt on the bottom! I have some really good shots of this somewhere hidden in my photos that I will try to find and post.