Three Things Tourists Usually Bring Home From Italy

pralinelemons

Community Member
Nov 17, 2014
I understand that some tourists buy souvenirs from their vacation destinations at one point or another. While this might not be true for others, some travelers still end up buying something to bring back with them, either to give to family or friends, or just something they could enjoy at home later on.

When we visited Italy, we had three important things on our list: cheese, pesto, and olive oil. We absolutely love Italian food. Buying these ingredients was definitely something we looked forward to after the trip. What were yours?

Ours were those exact same ingredients. We too love to cook Italian in our house and I feel those specific ingredients straight from Italy certainly knows how to put the Italy twist on any dish we make :) Oh how my family loves Italy!

Reactions: pralinelemons
The last time I was in Italy, I bought a rosary that is made of hand carved beads and some exquisite hand woven rugs. I like going to art and craft markets and buy art and food items produced by locals. In the past when I was able to travel to Italy every other weekend, as I lived in a nearby country, I frequently went to some great farmer's markets on Saturdays in the the very north of the country. It would only take me a couple of hours by bus to get there and back.

I understand that some tourists buy souvenirs from their vacation destinations at one point or another. While this might not be true for others, some travelers still end up buying something to bring back with them, either to give to family or friends, or just something they could enjoy at home later on.

When we visited Italy, we had three important things on our list: cheese, pesto, and olive oil. We absolutely love Italian food. Buying these ingredients was definitely something we looked forward to after the trip. What were yours?
The one thing I never forget is olive oil, I always get it or send for it if I know of anyone going there.

The number one thing tourist will bring back is a souvenir. The next would be a ingredient for a nice Italian recipes, like herbs or olive oil. I would also think about bring back a nice wine. I think anything you bring back from Italy will be an awesome reminder of the great time that was had there.

We discovered this delicious liqueur called Limoncello. They make it mostly in the south of Italy (along the Amalfi coast - close to Naples), but also in Lucca, in Tuscany where it is called Limoncino and tends to be a little sweeter. Basically, it is made out of lemon rind and alcohol and sugar - obviously the quality of the lemons is crucial. My boyfriend loved to drink it as a desert shot, I discovered that it is really great for ice cream and pies! You can also buy it in a lot of places as souvenir, in an Italy-shaped bottle! Great gift and something most people won't expect, so a great unusual special little something to bring back home from your Italy trip!

I stock up on my favorite biscuits Loacker and leather goods. There are some excellent bags, journals and shoes to be found with no designer label, but excellent quality and craftsmanship. Good quality and genuine pesto is something I look out for as well, but most people like a nice leather accessory.

I thought pralinelemons meant souvenirs, as in key chains, mugs with some monument imprinted on it, small stuff like that :)

I guess food and condiments are a better choice though :D
Clothes and shoes are pretty much popular among "souvenirs" as well. My dad bought himself a pair of Italian shoes back in 2010. He still wears them! They are that good!

As for food items.. I'd say olive oil is the most popular. Pesto as well, then there are some cheeses, especially Provolone and Parmigiano Reggiano. Smoked Caciocavallo is also pretty special. They probably make these in other countries as well, but the "real" recipe is Italian, they'll never get it right :P

As for the alcohol, I once gave some relatives of mine 2 bottles of home made wine. My boyfriend knows a guy who makes them himself, for years! So I though, doesn't get more authentic than this!

I agree with picking up quality food items from Italy. It's not the same else where. Limoncello is an item that you rarely see a good one in the states. This may be typical, but I also picked up Murano glass items.