The Sistine Chapel

spn614

Community Member
May 21, 2009
The Sistine Chapel

i loved visiting this place, of course in vatican which is considered to be an independent country but hey, it's still in italy. have you visited it yet?

I have been there nearly ten years ago and I was very impressed by the fantastic paintings on the walls.

Sandro Botticelli, Pietro Perugino, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Cosimo Rosselli, Biagio d'Antonio and Luca Signorelli did great art.

i loved visiting this place, of course in vatican which is considered to be an independent country but hey, it's still in italy. have you visited it yet?

Never had the chance to visit the Sistine and always regretted that. I would like to go back for sure. The Vatican was worth it and I would return

I have been there nearly ten years ago and I was very impressed by the fantastic paintings on the walls.

Sandro Botticelli, Pietro Perugino, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Cosimo Rosselli, Biagio d'Antonio and Luca Signorelli did great art.

The Creation of Adam is something I'd only seen on my computer, but it is definitely the masterpiece of them all. The one painting that everyone refers to. The one piece that perfectly marks the Renaissance era and the dawn of art after centuries of darkness, metaphorically speaking. I'd read about it, but I'd never seen it. If only I got the chance...

The Sistine Chapel is really beautiful, as I observed in the art works and gallery depiction. I have never been there but through art books and looking at photographs. One of the art work is The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, which has been parodied and depicted in many forms, and then popularized by the internet. It has inspired many pop culture art. Its influence is hard to miss.

The Sistine Chapel is really beautiful, as I observed in the art works and gallery depiction. I have never been there but through art books and looking at photographs. One of the art work is The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo, which has been parodied and depicted in many forms, and then popularized by the internet. It has inspired many pop culture art. Its influence is hard to miss.

The Creation of Adam, indeed! This is the peak of Renaissance painting, in my opinion. The influence of this is tremendous, especially when you consider how much the view of people had changed at the time. Before that, it was considered an impossibility that humans were inherently good - they were seen as sordid and sinful creatures. The Middle Ages are called the Dark ages, after all, so it doesn't come as a surprise, but what really astonishes is the sudden twist in thinking. Now people start looking upwards, to the sky, to the Heavens, and the image of humans change - no longer inherently evil, but good, ''made in the image of God''. Revolutionary, don't you think?

Yes, it's beautiful. Even though it was a bit busy (obviously it's a very popular tourist destination), there was something very serene about it. And, of course, you're staring upwards so you can almost pretend that nobody is around you!

The Sistine Chapel was one of the last few legs of the tour we paid for when we visited The Vatican in Rome last year. Pictures were not allowed to be taken, and that was just unfortunate. However, I think it was just for the best. I think some things are just not meant to be recorded so one could bask in the serenity of the moment at a certain place in time.

The Sistine Chapel was one of the last few legs of the tour we paid for when we visited The Vatican in Rome last year. Pictures were not allowed to be taken, and that was just unfortunate. However, I think it was just for the best. I think some things are just not meant to be recorded so one could bask in the serenity of the moment at a certain place in time.

Photos are usually not allowed inside buildings, which I too regret. When I visited Neuschwanstein, I so wished to capture that splendour on my camera and keep it forever with me, however, the rules are very strict and clear. When we see magnificence like this, we wish to preserve it, but it is also true that the memories are sweeter if you have no record of them. It is then that they receive a sort of a ''mythical'' quality. I bet you'd like to go to the Sistine Chapel again, if nothing else, to freshen up the memories.

Reactions: pralinelemons
The Sistine Chapel

Honestly, we didn't feel like waiting in line for HOURS, so we skipped it. What happened, as I found out later, is that we were there on a Sunday and the entrance is free on Sundays (except the last Sunday of every month), so that might have been the reason for the long queue. However, if it hadn't been that hot, I might have considered staying. I have seen it before on a former Italy trip, and it is definitely worth seeing it - even twice! Another big advantage on getting there on a Sunday is that you might get lucky and receive a blessing from the Pope!

What would I give to be able to visit the Sistine Chapel? I have included visiting every important place in the Vatican to my bucket list. I'd love to see Michaelangelo's sculptures and paintings. I'd love to be able to visit the Popes' resting place. I intend to buy a rosary made from the Vatican as well.

Well, while you're at it, don't forget to see some of Rome, too! By the way, many sights have free entrance on the first Sunday of a month, including the Colosseum. Don't be fooled by fake guides outside the Colosseum that will tell you that once you're passed the entrance, you'll have to wait in line forever. This is simply not true! In fact, from all the sights with free entrance, the Colosseum is the one with the shortest line!

Photos are usually not allowed inside buildings, which I too regret. When I visited Neuschwanstein, I so wished to capture that splendour on my camera and keep it forever with me, however, the rules are very strict and clear. When we see magnificence like this, we wish to preserve it, but it is also true that the memories are sweeter if you have no record of them. It is then that they receive a sort of a ''mythical'' quality. I bet you'd like to go to the Sistine Chapel again, if nothing else, to freshen up the memories.

I would like to go back there and stay longer next time. We went in together with a group (you pay to be with a tourist guide), and it felt that we were always rushing from one area to another, even inside The Sistine Chapel. The good part about it is we actually skipped the line. Nonetheless, it was definitely a great tour!

I can't imagine going to Italy and missing out on a visit to The Sistine Chapel. I think anyone who visits is awestruck, not just by the beauty of the work, but the fact that this sort of work was done in a period with no technological means or other types of aid. It is so extensive and detailed. It is well worth the time to visit The Sistine Chapel, don't miss it!