The "citta Morte" Of Italy

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
Did you know that Italy has a few cities that are literally declared "dead cities". Or, call them "ghost cities" is you want, the thing is no one really lives there.

Although they're not really among the destinations of most tourists, some people adventure themselves to visit them, despite the fact that they shouldn't, because of safety reasons.

The most famous of these ghost towns might be Bussana Vecchia, in Liguria. An earthquake destroyed the town but there are still some residents who fought for their opportunity to be able to still live there.

Giardini di Ninfa, in Lazio, was abandoned because it was struck by malaria and wars (a long time ago). Now it's a place where you can admire some beautiful gardens and ruined buildings.

There are more than 2 dead cities in Italy, I just found some details on these ones.
Were you ever there? Is it interesting?

Reactions: Chillout
Thanks Chillout :)

I didn't even believe there were such towns here in Italy, most places are so beautiful and full of life and Italy is visited by millions of tourists every year for the beauty of the country but no one ever mentions these rare places.

Luca, thanks a lot for the link!

I usually carry my photo camera everywhere I go because I LOVE taking pictures. Looks like now I have some extra destinations to go to in the future ;)

That's really interesting, I've never heard of this phenomenon before! Sounds like the kind of place I'd like to explore. ;) I've got a friend studying abroad in Bologna next year - I wonder if there's any of these towns in that region? I may need to investigate, that's definitely something I'd like to look into while I'm over visiting her.