Speed Cameras in Italy (Autovelox)

Chillout

Community Member
Sep 10, 2007
Mantova, Italy
Speed Cameras in Italy (Autovelox)

This is a big warning to anyone driving from Bologna - Taranto (Autostrada 14) that they have now introduced the new syle tutor speed camera system.

There are signs but you do not see the camera's.

The point in question is from Foggia to Bari in both directions.

There are digital camera's attached under bridges that will take a photo at a certain point when you pass.. This will enter your registration number into the database. when you pass the next camera it will take another photo and then the system will calculate the time of both photos and the distance and if your average speed is more than 130kmh then you will be issued a fine and points on your license.

I have heard that the same system is in place from Brescia - Milan and Bologna - Milan.

Police speed checks

Have just found this page which tells you where and on what days the police will be checking for speeders. (split into regions) not just the standard speed camera but the police lasers too.

Click here for weekly updates.

It is actually quite useful although i do not encourage anyone to break speed limits.

Thought I'd update this post as the last time I posted in it was back in 2006!

Well, Things have changed quite a bit since my last post and almost 100% of Italy motorways now have the tutor type speed camera in place so keep to the limits on your journey.

Remember that the speed limit on the autostrada (motorway) is 130 KMH except when it rains which reduces to 110 kmh.

In my area (Lombardy) they have invested heavily on the new type of autovelox (speed camera) on normal roads too. They measure your speed 150 meters in both directions from the point of installation. Here is a quick picture of what they look like.

Old Type:
oldtypevelox.webp

New Type:
newtypeautovelox.webp