Souvenir Shops

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
When you travel in Italy, do you go visit souvenir shops? There are a lot of them and they all sell different things that represent that particular city or miniature monuments, etc. However, they sometimes are overpriced so I personally prefer to take photos of the places I go to and leave it at that.
What about you? Do you buy souvenirs from shops every time you travel?

I always visit souvenir shops :)
I don't always buy stuff but if I find something cute, I take it. usually, I give away souvenirs to my sister and brother in law, I think it's a nice gesture. They do the same.

When I first moved to Italy I did by a few little souvenirs for friends and family. Nowadays I usually buy food. Such as a local cheese or Salami. It all depends on the zone in which I travel but almost all towns have some kind of local product.

That's actually a great idea, Chillout!
I don't like buying souvenirs anyway, but a special type of cheese makes a great gift!

I collect mini snow globes and I can usually find one specific to the town/area in any souvenir shop so I do always have a look. I like them because they're easy to display (we have a bookshelf dedicated just to my globes!) and they're like a tiny representation of where we have been so it's easy to bring back memories. Plus with them being so little they don't take up much room in our luggage.

I love your idea, Lolabelle, I haven't thought about snow globes before.

I usually just look into the shop's window but as I said, I prefer to take photos.
I have recently bought myself a 'serious' camera, it's not a DSLR but it's not a toy either. I can now take decent pictures of the places I visit.

I also love that I can now easily take panoramic pictures with this camera. I couldn't do that with my old one, now I can take some nice panoramic pictures and print them.

I know many people go to places, take pics and then forget about them in their hard drive, but I'm not like that. I like to print some of the most significant ones and put them in my photo albums so that I can remember them. They count as much as souvenirs do :P