Small hotels

rusty

Oct 19, 2010
I prefer to stay at small, family-run hotels when I travel, I think it gives one a better experience of the place. Are there many hotels like that in Italy? Are they usually expensive? Can you find a small hotel in a large town?

We stayed at two hotesl in Rome. One by the Trevi fountain was a medium size hotel and was great for everything. On our last night , we stayed at a smaller hotel which didnt have the facilities of the larger one but was so eccentric that you couldnt help but enjoy. The lift only had room for 1 person at a time and the bathroom had a moulded remote controlled toilet seat (!!). The owner also kept knocking on the door trying to sell me cans of lager for a euro at a time but he was so funny how could you say no. The breakfast was served on the rooftop with a view over Rome and with our owner singing songs about cornflakes at 8.00 in the morning.

I agree with you, staying in luxury hotels doesn't really give you the overview of the place that you really need, you basically stay in the confines of the hotel, without getting to know how the people live, the streets, etc.