Seaside Vacations: Where To Go?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
I know I asked about a vacation in the mountains but I was thinking that I can maybe plan a short trip to the seaside as well :)

I have a question though, where should I go? :confused:

I live close to Milan and the city of Genova is closer to me than, say, Rimini. I have heard that Rimini is awesome but it's a lot more expensive than Genova. Personally, I don't care much about anything else but lying in the sun and swimming in the sea, so I would opt for Genova since it's closer to me.

What do you thing though? Is Rimini or another place a much better choice? What do you recommend?

I live near Bologna, so for me the closer see it's the "Riviera Romagnole" where you can find Rimini, Riccione and other "famous" location.

On that side of Italy the sea it's really not so good, but all the rest it's probably the most well organised "holiday location" of Italy, there are lot of hotel/motel/camping, Fun parks, theme parks (L'italia in miniatura and many mores) and so there is always something to do.

if you want to see a great see and beach I'd go to Sardegna, probably the best region for these things, I don't know the sea of Liguria, but some area are famous for their beaches (le 5 terre).

I agree with Luca about the sea not being the best in Rimini but for nightlife it is a great city. Liguria is very beautiful and the sea seems to be much cleaner than the northern part of the Adriatic . For a day trip, just head towards the Cinque Terre and you wont be disappointed. There are many little towns even outside of the Cinque Terre that are worth a visit.

For a longer stay, I would suggest Puglia as the seas are very clean and the climate is mild all year around. Gallipoli is a place that I visit often and would recommend it to anyone.

I have heard that Calabria is very beautiful too.

Wow, thanks for the replies guys!

I had no idea that Rimini was not that great as far as the sea and beaches go, I thought everything was perfect over there. I mean, I've seen pictures and everything seems.. wow!

Alright then, I'll check that region off my list and add the ones you mentioned :D
I don't really care for nightlife, I got used to "living in boredom", as my brother in law says when he makes fun of me. I make plenty of fun of him too, don't worry!

The beaches are clean in Rimini and most of them are private, it's just the water that puts me off. It's safe to swim in, just not so transparent as other seas in Italy. I guess it's because the River Po flows into the Adriatic sea not too far away and the northern part of the Adriatic sea is closed. The further south you travel along the Adriatic, the cleaner it becomes.

I just wanted to write something but Luca said it all! Rimini and Riccione are maybe the best places for having fun, like the Ibiza of Italy. But if you want cristal clear sea, the most near place are le 5 terre in Liguria. They're ******* expensive, tough. The q

I just wanted to write something but Luca was perfect, in my opinion. Rimini and Riccione are places where you have fun, like Ibiza, but if you want cristal clear sea the nearest place in the norte are le 5 terre in Liguria. Too bad they're so expensive. Anyway, the question is: how many miles can you travel south? if you travel by car and you're scared by the prices in liguria on a mid distance you can consider the Argentario in Tuscany, like Isola del Giglio (by ferry boat). A couple of hours by car to the south and there is Ponza (by ferry boat), near Rome. A couple of hours by car to the south and there's the costiera amalfitana:Capri, Positano, Ischia, Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello, etc. near Naples: they're simply amazing. Still continuing to the south there are other great places in Puglia and Calabria. If you can catch a plane I'd head to Sardinia or Sicily, the trip is totally woth it.

Thanks Patrizio :)
Just back at home after a 3 days holidays on the "Riviera Romagnola".
I really love Piadina :)