Right Of Way Sign. - Italian Roads

Chillout

Community Member
Sep 10, 2007
Mantova, Italy
Right Of Way Sign. - Italian Roads

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me on this one. I have seen this sign many times in my local area and understand that it means that you have priorty.

(Image not loaded)

Where i seem to see this sign is a normal road with 2 lanes. (1 in each direction)

Cant seem to understand why i need a sign to tell me that i have priorty when there are 1 lane in each direction. On every occasion that i have seen this sign it is the same situation. I could understand it if it was a small country lane with just 1 lane but on a normal road.

There must be something i'm missing. Can anyone help clear this up?

Thanks Anastasia, :cool:

That cleared that up.

Not that anyway takes any notice of those signs. The only sign people tend to respect is "Attenzione Autovelox"

I'm getting very good at Italian driving now. I even flash the person in front before i overtake. However, look out for those that try to overtake 5 cars at once. :eek:

Dont think i'll ever get to that stage.

Well, only on the autostrada.

Haha.. A few years ago.. I had a traffic race with a guy I know in Naples - he is Neapolitan born and bred and drives like a nutter. I beat him. He nearly cried with shame and wouldn't speak to me for the rest of the day. :D

Important road sign

The yellow square on the diagonal illustrated in the first post is pretty irrelevant, but (on increasingly rare occasions) you will see the same sign but with a diagonal black line through it.

View attachment 56

That is a warning which you absolutely must take notice of.

It means that however minor the roads coming in from your right are, the traffic on those roads has priority over the "main" road bearing this warning symbol. It means that a car or tractor can leap out in front of the traffic on the seemingly main road with complete right.

From my observation (rather than having read about it) this situation only occurs where the highways authority hasn't got round to putting up Stop signs on all the minor roads, but nevertheless there are drivers who are sufficiently suicidal to excersise their right of prority.