Renting a vehicle vs. getting a taxi...

DianaR

Community Member
May 23, 2009
Renting a vehicle vs. getting a taxi...

I've heard all sorts of horror stories from US citizens who decided to drive for themselves in other countries, but I haven't heard much about driving in Italy.

Is it wise for foreigners to rent cars to drive themselves in Italy, or is it wiser to use taxis and public transportation?.

well when i toured italy, the tour company had a bus. so there are definitely pros and cons. like driving by yourselves will actually give you time live like an italian but you could get lost. riding taxis may take to where you need to go fast but it burns your pocket money. and you have to stick to tour groups on buses but it's the safest.

I don't believe it's any different than anywhere else. It depends on what you want and like everywhere else, just use common sense and make smart choices.

Before i moved to Italy permanently I always used to rent a car as i was here frequently on short visits.

This was very convenient for me as i would pick up the car from the airport when i landed do what i had to do (used car everyday) and then drop car back at airport to catch flight home.

I guess if i was to buy a package holiday then transfer and excursion transport is usually included in the price.

Taxis are expensive in Italy. Public transport is pretty cheap and efficient. I guess it all depends on your needs.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories from US citizens who decided to drive for themselves in other countries, but I haven't heard much about driving in Italy.

Is it wise for foreigners to rent cars to drive themselves in Italy, or is it wiser to use taxis and public transportation?.

I wouldn't even try, in fact theres some states in the US I wouldn't try to drive in either. Guess I am a great big chicken but public transport would be my choice

If i just moved in Italy i will probably ride a taxi because i am not familiar with the place even though its much expensive but later as i know tha place more and as i know how to drive i will buy or rent a vehicle to save and to go where i want to go.