Pompeii

Gabe

Community Member
Nov 9, 2014
This I have to say is one of the most incredible places I have ever seen. You can see history frozen in time and would recommend anyone to visit. I spent a whole day there, but to see everything would take two to three days as there is a lot of walking involved.

There are tours, or you can do it yourself and the first Sunday or each month is free. I would definitely do some background reading before you get there if you don't have a guide. We didn't have money for a guide, but one had just finished work and took pity on us and took us on an unofficial tour in the private areas of the museum where artifacts were still being studied. It was the most amazing thing I saw, with items in front of me that hadn't been examined yet, all underneath!

I will go back, and spend more time there and if you love history you will not be disappointed.

I didn't know that the first Sunday of each month was free. This is good to know, since the history behind Pompeii is so rich and I wouldn't mind visiting more than once to really soak it all in.

It sounds amazing that you had the privilege to go behind the scenes and see excavations that probably had not been seen by other visitors. That was a very nice guide that you found.

I visited Pompeii when I traveled around Italy, and I can agree that it is an amazing experience. It was incredible to walk the streets and take in the history of a place which, as you say, is frozen in time.

During my visit, I had an incredible opportunity to hike to the peak of Mt. Vesuvius. It was possible to look down into the crater and see the smoke still coming out. Amazing to think that it is still regarded as active, although currently dormant. There was a post at the top, where visitors carved their names. I took the time to add my mother's name, who was disabled and unable to travel. I would love to travel back one day and see if I can still find her name.

That is crazy that smoke is still coming out. Recently, I had the opportunity to see Pompeii the Exhibition at the California Science Center. I know it is nothing like going to Pompeii in Italy, but it was still quite an experience. For those who have not had the opportunity to visit Pompeii, they should go see the exhibition if they are in the area.