Planning Your Trip To Italy

anna2009

Community Member
Jun 9, 2009
Planning Your Trip

The main border crossings with France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia are open 24 hours a day year-round. Some mountain passes are closed during the winter. State and provincial roads are distinguished by blue signs with white letters.

Highways and Roads Highway
There is an extensive and well maintained road network. Tolls are charged on the autostrade (highways). As in the rest of continental Europe, vehicles travel on the right and overtake on the left. The wearing of seatbelts is compulsory for front and back seat passengers as well as for the driver. The use of portable telephones is prohibited if they require intervention by hand to function.

Highways and Roads Highways are indicated by the letter "A" followed by a number written in white on a green background. They are almost all subject to tolls, except for some brief stretches, especially approaching urban areas. Tolls are paid in cash at highway exit points. It is also possible to pay by Viacard Telepass cards (systems that make automatic payment possible without stopping at the toll booths) or Viacard a highway toll payment card which can be bought, at a value of either 25 / 50 / 75 Euro, on the highway, in many banks or in ACI offices.

ACI provides complete car service throughout the country. Calls for assistance can be made 24 hours a day by calling 803.116 or by using the emergency booths located every 2 km along the roadway, They have buttons with a wrench symbol, to be used in the event of a breakdown, and with a red cross symbol for a first-aid emergency.

Service areas are very frequent along all of the highways. The rest stops are always open, and, in addition to refueling, they also offer other services such as restaurants, bars, information offices, and banking windows.

For the money concerns I would use a travel agent. They can book everything from the flight to the hotel and are likely to take cash. Talk to their supervisors and explain what you are doing and they will work with you (I hope). All that is left is pack the bag!! Good luck!

Re: Planning Your Trip

That's great intel, Anna, for those traveling in Italy. I would add that anyone doing so in the future and not right now be sure to check for changes. You know how life is, just when you think something is written in stone, it changes.

Thank you for that nice chunk of info! No matter how thouroughly I think I have planned, I always forget to check on some little detail. This will help!

It is also worth pointing out that by law you should always drive with your headlights on.

Really? Does Italy require that headlights be on all the time, even during the summer and brightest days? We have rules about overcast days and such, but otherwise, there isn't a 'daily' lights on rule.

Yes, when driving on the autostrade (highway) you must have your headlights turned on whatever the season, time of day or weather conditions.

Interesting headlights law. For those of us who find that a bit strange, could anyone please enlighten us and explain why Italian road/traffic laws require this?

Interesting headlights law. For those of us who find that a bit strange, could anyone please enlighten us and explain why Italian road/traffic laws require this?

I cant explain the facts as to why it is law but i can confirm that it is true:

1) During the day dipped headlights are compulsory when you are driving on motorways, dual carriageways, and on all out of town roads.

2) If you are on a motorcycle, the use of dipped headlights during the day is compulsory on all roads.

3) Rear fog lights may only be used when visibility is less than 50 metres or in case of strong rain or intense snow.

I guess this is because it increases visibility. Even on sunny days the glare from the sun can be distracting.

@ Chilloout: Yeah, sounds like it. But I wonder how using your headlights during a bright sunny day could increase road safety. Whilst I understand the glare from the sun could be a distracting, wouldn't headlights add to it? Ah, just thinking out loud. I don't drive so, please forgive my ignorance.