Pisa

TuttoItaly

Administrator
Oct 17, 2010
Pisa, the small Italian city best known for its leaning tower, is situated in Central Italy, in the Tuscany region, right next to the Tyrrhenian Sea. Although the Tower of Pisa is what makes it famous, the city is also home for some historic churches, several castles and bridges across the River Arno, not to mention is has the best Superior Graduate Schools in Italy: Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa and Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies.

Home for about 85,000 inhabitants, this small city gathers many tourists every year, from all over the world.
The main sights of the city include monuments and museums, numerous piazzas and churches and a beautiful botanical garden, the very first in Europe, called the "Orto botanico di Pisa".

The Leaning Tower of Pisa, which took 177 years, is the third oldest structure in Pisa's Cathedral Square, after the Cathedral and the Baptistry. The tower began to tilt during its construction because the foundation it was built on had some flaws. Over the years, the tower's tilt increased more and more, until it was stabilized by engineers and, in 2008, for the first time in history, the tower stopped moving.

Right next to the tower, tourists can admire the Cathedral or the "Duomo", a splendid place of worship. The Baptistry or the "Battistero", which has an amazing decorated interior, is also situated close by. Often, tourists climb to the top to be able to see the city's beauty and also, a full view of the leaning tower. The Campo Santo, also known as the Camposanto Monumentale ("monumental cemetery"), said to be built on sacred soil brought from Golgotha in the 12th century, is also home for a collection of ancient Roman sarcophagi and medieval frescoes.

Many interesting museums are opened for the public all year long.
Museo dell'Opera del Duomo houses original sculptures of Giovanni Pisano, along the treasures of the cathedral.
Museo delle Sinopie, Museo Nazionale di S. Matteo and Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Reale are also worth visiting for their great collections of sculptures, paintings and belongings of the families who used to live in the Royal Palace.

When you're ready to leave the museums, you could take a tour of the "Giardino Scotto" or of the "Parco Regionale Migliarino San Rossore Massaciuccoli", both breathtakingly beautiful.

On the patron saint's day (San Ranieri), the 16th of June, Pisa holds the Luminara festival.
To honor San Ranieri, over 10,000 candles are lit at sunset, all the lights along the Arno river are dimmed and the view and the atmosphere are simply magical.

Gioco del Ponte (Game of Bridge), a historical manifestation held yearly on the last Sunday of June, splits the two sides of the city because they compete against each other in a physical match in which they have to 'conquer' the "Ponte di Mezzo" (the main bridge in Pisa). It's an interesting summer attraction to be a part of.

Even if Pisa is a rather small city, you can see it doesn't make it less interesting so it's definitely a destination you should check on your travel list.

This has to be one of the most famous icons in Italy, the leaning tower of Pisa and in fact it's puzzling for me how that can happen. Overall Italy is a very special country, it has this tower, Venice, the Vatican, many unique things in the world.

My friend went to Pisa once and unfortunately, she said it was BORING. Are there other things to do there besides visiting the famous leaning tower?

While I don't know a great deal about the city itself, whenever it's mentioned then obviously the first thing anybody thinks about is the tower.

As for the rest of the city, like I said I've never been but I'd imagine that apart from the leaning tower, it's just going to be a regular Italian city so to say it's boring I'd suggest is a matter of opinion.

In the other thread; http://theitalyforum.com/threads/how-long-in-pisa.3436/
most people agree there is nothing more to do in Pisa.

Generally Pisa is famous for the tower and is also a major airport in the region. I have been and I was bored and I was there overnight waiting for a flight back. I've been to Pisa a few times, but there is more to do in other cities. It's fine for a day trip and maybe a base for the region as accommodation is a bit cheaper than Florence. As I have been to most of the major cities in Italy, Pisa is not one I would out in the top 20. My own opinion of course!

My friend went to Pisa once and unfortunately, she said it was BORING. Are there other things to do there besides visiting the famous leaning tower?

That can happen too, a city has a huge name because of some monument and apart from that there is not much more to it. I don't think it's the case in Venice though and like you say Gabe, there have to be other point of interest there. Let me check out that thread.

There are always sights to see, things to enjoy. The famous Leaning Tower is definitely a must! If you don´t see it while in Pisa... well, it´s just like not seeing Eiffel Tower in Paris or London Bridge in London. They´re simply a must.

But I believe there are many other things to do and see: museums, galleries, churches, town square, malls (some people like to shop...), even cafes and such - all of these can give you some insight into the local culture. Evenings are great for walks in the centre and so are mornings. The afternoons... well, take your pick from any of the above.

I´d never be bored in a great city. There are always things I miss out on because I don´t have enough time.

My first thought of Pisa is the tower. However, I believe there is a museum there with some significant piece of art. The Battistero is worth seeing while waiting for your Pisa tower climb. It is the largest building of its kind in Italy. Pisa is also fairly close to some outlets for tourists who want to do some shopping.