Lake Garda And Germans

Chillout

Community Member
Sep 10, 2007
Mantova, Italy
I was at lake Garda yesterday and as its close by I frequent various parts of the lake during the summer months.

The place is always full of Germans and was wondering why Germans are so attracted to the lake rather than heading a little further south to the many beautiful seaside resorts that Italy has on offer.

I presume it's because the main motorway from Germany to Italy passes nearby but could there be other reasons?

I bet it's because it's so beautiful out there:)
It's not uncommon for tourists to keep coming back to the same place they fell in love with. My best friend loves to travel but whenever she and her husband decide to go on a 2-3 week vacation, instead of choosing a new destination, they prefer to repeat the experience they had in the last few years, somewhere in Croatia.

My parents are the same, they always go to the same spot at the seaside and the same spot in the mountains.

Sometimes you just feel a bond with a place and all you can think about all year long is to go back there :) My 2 cents :P

I noticed this trend as well in different parts of Northern Italy. All the tourists around the lake districts in Lombardia seem to be Germans or Austrians. In fact there were more German-speakers than Milanese at Lago Iseo when I was there last time!

I guess it is a mixture of nostalgia and ease of access from Germany and Austria that causes this trend.

Reactions: Chillout
@BWI

Very true, but I would say more German speakers than Italians not just Milanese.

Still a very beautiful natural part of northern Italy to visit and I can certainly see why so many foreigners are attracted to the various lakes.

@Rosie
People tend to return to the same places over again because they know that they will have a good time.

I always visit lake Garda as a day trip as it's a hour in the car from me. I do admit though, that I prefer to visit a new beach/ zone each time that way I'm getting to know the area very well.