How Much Of Italy Have You Seen?

Champers

Community Member
Dec 21, 2013
A question for those who do (or have) lived in Italy: do/have you travelled throughout the country? I am curious because I read somewhere that many expats see less of a country than tourists

Some Italians that have moved to other countries with their families do not visit very often. My in-laws have been back three times since they moved here 50 years ago. Most of their family members immigrated to Canada, America and Argentina. The one sister that lived in Italy passed away quite a few years ago so they don't feel the urge to travel there. It's hard to get them to go on vacation period!

Hi Sabina. I was wondering more about non-Italians who are living in Italy at the moment, or have lived there in the past. I have heard that people who live abroad tend to get drawn into a busy everyday life and actually see less of the touristy things than a visitor would.

In a sense, it is true, as one becomes involved in normal daily life they have less time to travel than one on vacation. However, the great thing is that when you do have free time, it's just a case of jumping in the car.

In the summer months, I take many day trips in northern Italy as it's all fairly close by. When I visit the south of Italy, I normally fly and it usually involves staying a few nights as the distance is too far day trips.

I have lived here since 2008, and I can say that I have seen almost nothing at all! You would think that if you live here, you get to see a lot of Italy, but as Chillout said, you end up just seeing the city you live in and that's it...

I only started to see small regions recently. Until now I have been to Genoa, visited it a bit, it's beautiful! I've been to the seaside, but only in the West, I haven't been to see Rimini or anything on the East part of Italy yet.
I've been to Lake Garda, visited it a bit, but not much (I plan on visiting more location around it this year, just as the weather becomes warmer).

I've seen some cities, like Milan or Parma and small cities in between... but didn't visit them as a tourist, I've had things to do there and just visited them "on business" so to say.

After this summer i think will have completed all the major cities/towns in italy bar Naples which will be next on my list!

I think after that a trip to Scilly will be in order, but I'm debating it as i have heard mixed reviews!

I've been lucky enough to visit Italy twice. One when I was in highschool, and a second time just after I finished university. I got to visit: Venice, Rome, Florence, parts of Naples and a few other smaller towns. I would love to return to Italy and get to visit more less touristy places, if only my budget would cooperate!