How Much Does An Italian Holiday Cost?

gwenpinay

Jan 4, 2011
For us who are wanting to visit, a clue about how to estimate the cost of an Italian holiday would be a great help. Say, I'd like a basic, 7-day trip to Rome. By basic, I mean

1. try one posh Italian restaurant and stick to diners/sidewalk cafes the rest of the time;
2. a guided tour at Vatican city
3. sightseeing around Rome
4. maybe a little souvenir-shopping
5. a budget hotel stay, maybe a bed-and-breakfast lodge, if amenities are OK and place is clean.

How much would this trip likely cost? A ballpark figure for hotel room stays, food, entertainment, transport, etc. would be great. Could work the non-basic $$$ from there.

What I thought was my "dream trip" to Italy ended up costing $10,000 for two people. No joke. What I mean by dream trip is that the itinerary sounded great on paper, but in reality, it didn't really live up. We went through a tour group and went to several different cities in Italy, from Rome to Pisa. If you just stuck to Rome it would of course be a lot cheaper; airfare is what is really killer, costing over $2k for two people, unless you are based in Europe.

Reactions: Chillout
@ amatigress: Wow, 10 grand is certainly a lot. I would probably not want to spend that much for a holiday. And I'm sorry your dream holiday didn't live up to expectations. Could better planning have reduced cost and improved the quality of experience?

I wouldn't be surprised if you broke $4000 for one person spending 7 days in Rome. That's based on $1000 airfare alone, plus food/lodging/transport/sightseeing. The euro is stronger than the dollar, so everything costs more.