Gondoliers And Drink Tests

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
Venice is maybe one of the most popular cities in Europe and it's surely among the most romantic ones as well.
But... there's a but :D It looks like the city council has received a number of complaints because of some of the gondoliers' behavior.

There was this incident where some gondoliers who drank too much made an aspiring 'gondolier's assistant' take off him clothes and jump into the water. I understand there was a video of it too, but it was taken off YouTube :D

After the complaints were received, the city counselors got mad and, in a nutshell, they decided that the gondoliers involved in such acts should have their license revoked.

I hope everything will be OK in the end, it would be a shame to have a city's tradition ruined because of such misbehavior.

I heard about this too. Apparently a few gondolier's found it funny to force a job candidate to strip off his clothes and swim in the canal near to St Marks Square in order to get a job.

The candidate was applying to be a Ganser which is the person who helps passengers get in and out of the gondolar.

I never new that up until now, gondolier's were exempt from alcohol tests. That's all about to change soon and a good move too as they are still in charge of a public service vehicle and should be tested like other motorists, taxi drivers etc..

I think it's a good move too.
In fact, I think that all jobs that require you to take care of your clients' safety must have the alcohol test as a requirement.

I couldn't remember the details, I did see the footage on the news though.
I can't even imagine going on a romantic gondola ride, birds singing, gondolier smiling, peace and quiet... and all of a sudden having a taste of the cold waters of Venice because the gondolier lost control of the gondola! :confused: :D

We are going to Venice this October and one of the main arguments is about whether to take a gondola ride. To me, they are nothing more than a clichéd, overpriced waste of money but to the girlfriend it's a romantic 'must do'. I will try and get her to do a compromise 'Traghetto taxi' ride - a gondola for a couple of euros.

Reactions: Chillout
Oh, come on Moltobene! You can't refuse you girlfriend a gondola ride on your vacation together :D Have you thought about the consequences? :D hehe I'm joking.

Seriously now, if you go to Venice you should definitely experience the gondola rides. Where else do you have the opportunity to be on a boat with a personal "chauffeur"? It's so romantic!

I have never done a Gondola ride myself and I actually agree with @MoltoBene

However, Venice is a one of a kind city and to make it more special I do think even if you do the minimal ride it will be a great experience.

Has anyone ever been on one? How much do they cost?

Oh, come on Moltobene! You can't refuse you girlfriend a gondola ride on your vacation together :D Have you thought about the consequences? :D hehe I'm joking.

Seriously now, if you go to Venice you should definitely experience the gondola rides. Where else do you have the opportunity to be on a boat with a personal "chauffeur"? It's so romantic!

I think you're right, I'd better start putting in for some overtime. :) Does anybody have any general ideas of the cost of an evening gondola ride? It doesn't have to be on the Grand Canal and we'll probably not bother with the drink extras. I've found this link which suggest upward of 100 euros (gulp!).

http://www.jet2.com/News/A_Guide_to_Gondola_Rides_in_Venice/

I have been to Venice a few times, but never went on a gondola ride because it was too expensive. I cannot remember the price, but the fact that I have not even considered it (as a tourist), tells the tale.

Well.... I guess that who plans a vacation in Venice better have all lifesaving prepared :D

I found this link with prices they ask for a gondola ride: Il nolo della gondola.

Despite the "oh my God!" prices, I still think that the whole charm of Venice are in those 40 minutes. Beautiful buildings and narrow streets you can see in every Italian city ;) but something unique as this, hardly :)

Absolutely Rosie, but I will have to make lots of money before visiting Venice again. The whole ambiance of the island is unique and special. I would not want to fall into any of the canals, though; the water does not seem to be fresh seawater anymore. But, despite this, I still think Venice is one of the 'must see' cities of the world.

Really, the water isn't crystal clean? It's odd, since all the publicity spots and pictures of Venice show a very clean water. It makes me want to dive in it!

I guess that Venice can afford to ask for such prices for tourists, given the history and how it's a very popular location, for centuries. I wonder how life is for the locals though. Do they pay the same prices everywhere they go? Are high prices only applied during tourist season?

Wow, €80 for the first 40 minutes and €40 for every 20 minutes after that.

I am in the wrong job! ;)

I do agree though that its a once in a lifetime experience and you can have up to six people to each gondola so the price is not too bad when you divide the price per person.

Very expensive though if you are just a couple!

Yeah, especially since it's the guy who usually pays :D hihih

Unrelated to the subject, but funny:
I have read that a man went to the police to 'tell on' the woman he was on a date with the night before. He was mad because he had paid for dinner and everything and the woman didn't put out. Imagine how mad he would have been if he had taken her on a gondola ride too!!