Expensive?

Angie

Sep 29, 2011
I haven't been to Italy in quite a while but like I've said in other posts I'd like to get back there soon. Do those of you who have gone recently find it expensive once you're there? I'm not talking about airfare of course.

I have noticed that everywhere they use the Euro is more expensive than a few years ago. I remember when the Euro was worth about 50p but now it's almost £1 and so the cost of food and drink is considerably more than it was.

Yes, the Euro has increased in worth. Then again currency values are never that reliable are they? Anyways, after converting your currency most things there are normal price. I wouldn't say anything is expensive, per say. Honestly since the Euro is higher up on the currency scale, shouldn't things be cheaper? Though if my logic is wrong, please correct me.

Well, things are more expensive than they were because where you'd be paying 2 Euros for a cup of coffee and it would now convert to almost £2, years ago those same 2 Euros would have converted to only £1.

The Euro is still worth more than the American dollar as well, so it can feel expensive. Really, everything all over the world has gone up in price, so it just feels natural at this point. You can get great deals on flights and hotels though to try and counter the costs.

Yes, it is pretty expensive. Compared to America, virtually everything seems higher. I would recommend bringing a little extra with you than you might initially plan. Especially if you love to shop.

If you go to places like Venice then expect to pay well above average in prices. If your eating out in other well known tourist areas, try to avoid the main squares and try a side street instead. Italy can seem very expensive on a first visit but you can also find cheap places to eat and stay if you do a bit of research.