Everywhere You've Been In Italy

Adam

Community Member
Nov 17, 2014
UK
Following up a bit from the 'Most Beautiful Cities' thread, I thought it might be nice to share the different places we've all been in Italy. My intention here is not to make this some kind of competition of who has been to the most places, but to look out of interest where people have been, maybe to see which are the most popular places, but mostly to be able to share recommendations, and give us all an opportunity to ask each other about places we may be interested in, but haven't been to.
I think it makes a big difference to your opinion and knowledge of a place whether you have stayed there, or just visited it on a day trip, so it might be good to separate them...

Personally, I've stayed for several days in:
Florence (3 times)
Venice
Siena
Montepulciano
Turin
(booked for next year) Verona

visited for a day or a few hours:
Milan
Montalcino
Monteriggioni

your turn :)

Well, I can list places off the top of my head, (day trips in italics) and then add to some I may have forgotten;

• Florence
  • Pisa
  • Genoa
  • Milan
  • Lake Como
  • Reggio Emilia
  • Parma
  • Siena
  • Santa Margherita Ligure
  • Ventimiglia
  • Cinq Terre
  • Portofino
  • Agerola
  • Naples
  • Amalfi
  • Capri
  • Rome
  • Venice
  • Bologna
  • Grosseto
  • Manciano
  • Fiesole
  • Rappallo
  • Ravenna
  • Capri
  • Lipari
  • Stromboli
  • Pompeii
  • Modena
  • Lucca
  • Bosa
  • Porto Cevero
  • Alghero
That's what I remember so far, but I know there maybe a few more that will come to me.

Wow that's a pretty substantial list Gabe! any particular favourites?
I have a soft spot for Lucca (just beautiful) Santa Margherita Ligure (I could live there, as there is a beach, shops, train station and pubs), Lipari (so friendly I stayed an extra two weeks!) and Cinq Terre would be wonderful to live in too.

For cities, I would say Florence or Bologna are my favorites. Florence I lived in so I do love it there, but Bologna has a great student and art scene too. The food is amazing and in the student quarter the food is cheaper and not the tourist prices. Florence is very touristy, but you get used to it and it has great markets on Saturdays.

Yes I love Florence and many of the tourists are day trippers so it's not so hectic in the evenings. Lucca is somewhere I'd like to go one day.
Bologna isn't somewhere I've really thought much about, it's not often mentioned as a tourist destination, although it has a lot to offer, a bit like Turin in that respect (which is wonderful imo)

I have been to all the basic places that tourists go to, Rome, Florence, Venice. I would like to go to the Amalfi Coast as some point.

I have been to too few places :P

I'll start with the most beautiful, Venice :) Everyone talks about how wonderful it is, but seeing it with your own eyes is 100 times better!
Second on my list, Lake Garda, I've visited the area a few times, mostly for the beach, but the towns are so beautiful! I always like to take a long walk along the lake before I head home :P
Genoa, I've been here 3 times and I totally recommend it, even as a one-day-trip.
I also visited Castell'Arquato, it's really famous around here and it's really, really beautiful!
And now... to list some other cities, I've seen Parma, Milan and Chiavari, and I also went to see the castle of Agazzano, twice, but it was closed... twice!

I hope I didn't forget anything :)

Rosie, Gabe...
could you tell me a bit about Genoa? It's somewhere I'm considering going in 2016 for a few days, combining it with a few days back in Turin, as they are not too far apart. It looks lovely from photos but I don't know too much about it. Any tips?

^ Sure!

Each time I went to Genoa (on purpose.. lol) I took the train there. I have to be honest, I love driving, but I prefer walking anytime if I'm visiting a new place!
The city is overall amazing! So if you also enjoy walking, you're gonna love it there. I haven't seen much of Genoa, because I only went on one day trips, but the architecture and parks and the view when you get close to the Mediterranean Sea are amazing! :)

If you're gonna visit Genoa, I recommend you save at least one whole afternoon to visit the Aquarium! It's a huge aquarium, and it's awesome! I visited it twice, and I would probably visit again if I get the chance :) I also enjoyed visiting the Biosphere and the "pirateship" right next to the aquarium, but they're not that exciting to be honest.

Another touristy thing you simply must try is going up on the Bigo. The Bigo is like a huge elevator that lifts you up in the air, 130 feet, and you get to see the whole city from up there :) I hope you're not afraid of heights, because this is a MUST! And it's cheap too, it's like €5 or something like that.

There are also some museums worth visiting, especially if you're gonna stay for a few days. I only got the see the Marine museum, but plan on exploring more of Genoa next time I'll get there :)

Thanks Rosie, sounds really good. I always enjoy walking around cities , it's definitely the best way to explore a city. We would probably get a train from Turin to Genoa, or vice versa (I never drive on holiday)
I am a bit afraid of heights, but I get better at flying the more I do it, and although I don't usually go up the bell towers of cathedrals, I did go up the Mole Antonelliana in Turin (167m) and was fine once we were up the top.
If you (or anyone else) wants any tips on any city I've been to and you haven't, I'd be happy to help.

I lived in Turin for 9 years and it is a beautiful baroque city, well-worth visiting.I have also seen other big and important cities: Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples. In addition to these I visited some little gems which I would wholly recommend: Camogli in Liguria is a charming town, very small, it became renowned for the writer Paolo Coelho taking residence there, Lucca is indeed another beautiful one in Tuscany, I would add Pietra Santa as well part of Tuscany as it is a very artistic place famous for painter and sculptor Botero, originally from Colombia to have settled and produce some important work there

Agreed about Turin, I went for the first time this year, stayed for 4 days and wished we were there longer. it's a fabulous city, I could imagine living there.