Coach Travel in Italy - Rome to Sorrento

gilbz

Community Member
Sep 6, 2010
Coach Travel in Italy - Rome to Sorrento

Been looking through the forums and I just wanted to pass on atip from when we went to Itlay. A lot of people travel from Rome to Sorrento by train which involves a stop in Naples followed by a change onto the local train line. This may well be quicker but if you want a direct route then do as we did and get the coach from Rome. The company we used is called Marozzi and you can book the tickes online in advance (Note:it may be helpful if you know someone who can speak Italian as it's in that language!), Cost was about 30 euros return and takes about 3.5 - 4 hours with a stop after about 2 hrs just past Monte Cassino . the coach generally isnt full but to play it safe book your tickets so you are sitting on the right hand side of the coach as the view when you get to the Amalfi coast is well worth it. Saves you lugging heavy suitcases around Naples station which is a nightmare at the best of times.

Reactions: Veronese
Is traveling by coach something common in Italy? How far can you travel this way? Are coaches available only near large cities or pretty much everywhere?

The coach station in Rome (by Tiburtina rail station) seemed to have a fair few coaches lined up for all the usual places like Milan , Naples so I would guess the system is farily comprehensive. Having said that , the coaches weren't rammed full of people so it could well be an alternative way to travel if you have the time.

Travelling by coach can actually be a great way to travel on long journeys (from north to south etc.)

They usually stop at service stations along the motorways so you can get off and get some fresh air or stretch your legs. I believe most people take the train on long journeys as there are usually more trains than busses but by coach is a good option and perhaps better in some ways.