Cinque Terre

TuttoItaly

Administrator
Oct 17, 2010
If you're ever wondering what a good destination for your vacation would be, try visiting the Cinque Terre, or The Five Lands, as it literally translates.

The Cinque Terre is a magnificent place situated on the Italian Riviera and it consists of 5 different villages: Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore. They are all part of the first Italian National Park, since 1999.

The Cinque Terre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because of its importance and that makes it a very popular destination for tourists from all around the world.

One of the interesting facts about the Cinque Terre is that it is one of the very few places around the World where you can't really use your car. It's inaccessible by car, except for a few very narrow roads. In any case, it's best if you travel by train, ferry, plane and, once you're there, on foot.

The nicest village of all seems to be Vernazza. It is a magnificent place with a breathtaking scenery. Here you can visit the Church of Santa Margherita d'Antiochia, the Sanctuary of Madonna di Reggio or the Doria Castle and, if you think you've seen it all, try spending a day on the beach, you won't regret it.

Monterosso is not that far away from Vernazza. There's a 3,5 kilometer footpath linking the two villages. The path goes through vineyards and citrus orchards, it takes you over a beautiful small stone bridge and, for whoever is able to climb up the path to the end, there's a wonderful panoramic view of Monterosso

The "Via dell'Amore" is one of the most important attractions the Cinque Terre has to offer. It links Riomaggiore and Manarola and is a wonderful place to take a romantic walk. Despite the fact that a lot of tourists have scribbled their names on rocks, the path is still a romantic place you can enjoy with your loved one. The statue of lovers is also special. Couples often write their names on a small lock and leave the lock by the statue. Afterwards, they throw the key into the sea and promise to love each other forever. Key throwing is an old local tradition

If you're looking for good food, don't miss the Il Gigante. "The Giant" is a very large statue of Neptune, sculpted in 1910. Unfortunately, with the years passing, the statue is now almost ruined but it still makes an interesting attraction for tourists. The restaurant right beside it isn't bad either, the food here is quite enjoyable and the local wines as well.

As far as some interesting facts go, there are some worth mentioning.
In Riomaggiore, all houses have two entrances. This is a consequence of the numerous attacks in history. By having two entrances, the people were guaranteed an escape route.

In Manarola, one Christmas tradition is hard to miss. Over 200 live sized statues, made out of recycled materials, are placed on a hill and are illuminated by light bulbs. This nativity scene may be the biggest one in the world.

If you have the opportunity to visit Italy, don't miss out on what the Cinque Terre has to offer.

I heard that too! Such a shame, it's maybe the most romantic place in the area! Well, the most renown romantic place actually :)

I took a look on Trip Advisor and 2 people gave a positive review of the path. The most recent one is dated July 7 (a week ago). Take a look at the link.

I guess they reopened it. Which is great! I have to plan a trip in that area too, it's not that far away.

I've heard so many great things about Cinque Terre. It's one of the places that I really want to visit in Italy. I've been to Italy twice, but unfortunately I missed Cinque Terre both times. I promise that I'll see it next time!

3d9c5fe7ce8e9a028dd54b9c699a0f53.webp

I heard that the Via delle Amore path is currently closed due to the landslides last year. Has anyone been recently? Has the path been re opened?

Update on the Via delle Amore path, known as the Lover's Lane is now open. It took almost three years (30 months) and approximately 2.3 million euros due to damages caused by a mudslide.

The "Via dell'Amore" reopened 30 months after landslides
L'Italo-Americano Staff | Apr 07, 2015

Another report goes more in depth on the damage and progress of the Via delle Amore path over the years.
What's going on with the Via dell'Amore?

September 24, 2012: A rockslide on the Via dell’Amore injures four Australian tourists, one of which is seriously injured.
From that moment, the Via dell’Amore is officially closed by local ordinance and is sequestered by the Italian Procura (prosecutor’s office) while the slide and its cause are under investigation.
February 25, 2013: The Italian Procura releases the Via dell’Amore back to the Comune di Riomaggiore, under explicit directions that the path is not to be reopened to the public until it is messa in sicurezza (deemed safe).
March 14, 2013: The Regione Liguria proffers €800,000 euro to help with costs for the messa in sicurezza of the Via dell’Amore. These funds were originally earmarked for a different project in our territory.
April 18, 2013: Riomaggiore’s mayor as well as numerous experts in geological hazards perform their first official inspection of the Via dell’Amore.
April 22, 2013: After the inspection, the Comune di Riomaggiore proposes that an extensive study be conducted by geologists and other professionals in the sector, detailing the current state of the path (and the terrain both above and below it) and what operations will be required in order to make the Via dell’Amore safe. This is the beginning of a long and arduous process (and paper trail).
September 26, 2014: An accord is signed between the Comune di Riomaggiore, Regione Liguria and the Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (the Italian railway) to authorize work on the portion of the Via dell’Amore directly above the Manarola railway station.
January 13, 2015: Work on the portion of the Via dell’Amore above the railway station in Manarola begins. Works for this phase will extend from the railway station in Manarola to the Bar Via dell’Amore (circa 200 meters).

UPDATE:

April 3, 2015: Inauguration for the reopening of the first 200 meters of the Via dell’Amore (from the Manarola railway station to the Bar Via dell’Amore).
April 3, 2015: The Regione di Liguria issues a press release pledging 1.5 million euro towards the Via dell’Amore project and promises another portion of the path will reopen before the end of 2015.

If you are serious about hiking in this area, I found this recent first-hand account with some good tips. I must admit, I am tempted to go check out this area. Pretty sure, I would take advantage of the train ride back though.

Hike through vineyards and lemon trees in Italy’s Cinque Terre
Jul 25, 2015
By Pam LeBlanc
http://www.therecord.com/living-sto...ards-and-lemon-trees-in-italy-s-cinque-terre/

View attachment 2045

Update on the Via delle Amore path, known as the Lover's Lane is now open. It took almost three years (30 months) and approximately 2.3 million euros due to damages caused by a mudslide.

L'Italo-Americano Staff | Apr 07, 2015

Another report goes more in depth on the damage and progress of the Via delle Amore path over the years.
What's going on with the Via dell'Amore?

If you are serious about hiking in this area, I found this recent first-hand account with some good tips. I must admit, I am tempted to go check out this area. Pretty sure, I would take advantage of the train ride back though.

Hike through vineyards and lemon trees in Italy’s Cinque Terre
Jul 25, 2015
By Pam LeBlanc
http://www.therecord.com/living-sto...ards-and-lemon-trees-in-italy-s-cinque-terre/

Glad to hear it's reopened again after the landslides - it is just such a beautiful area that a hike through the vineyards sounds so pleasant.

That picture you posted still takes my breath away, it's such a beautiful sight.

I've been twice and it is the most breathtaking place I have ever been to. It's the place I would love to live in and would visit whenever I am nearby. The best time to go is late spring through to autumn because there are landslides in the area. The first time I went it was fine and the second time, landslides had cut off part of the paths.

You should start out early and take your time to enjoy the vistas. I haven't been recently, but I do hope to return again soon. Maybe in autumn when it's less touristy. That's the other thing, during peak season, the path gets busy and it can be dicey in some parts, plus you don't get such great photos. Mine are all in storage somewhere, but the memories are in my head.