Castles In Northern Italy?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
I've lately become very interested in traveling, it's so much fun!
I also realized I have a 'thing' for castles, they fascinate me a lot.

I have visited only 2 castles in Italy up until now: Castell'arquato (near Parma, on the first hills of Val D’Arda) and the ruins of the Castello of Desenzano, which are basically a bunch of ancient walls, but it was interesting to take pictures of them.

What other castles are there in Northern Italy? Are they interesting? Did you visit them?

I love visiting castles and other historical sites in Italy and have to say that there are so many to see.

There are some that really stand out from others and one that I would recommend as a day trip is Castle Beseno in Trentino.

The fortress is one of the largest in the Trentino region and is located on a hill at the beginning of the mountains.

Below is a short video I found:

You have to pay to enter unfortunately, but I guess this helps keep the castle in good condition. They do offer a flat fee ticket that allows you to visit 3 other castles in the area.

Here is a link for more info about the castles and prices. http://www.buonconsiglio.it/index.php/en/Castel-Beseno

The castle may be quite a distance from you @Rosie and you will need to travel by car.

Once you have visited the castle, you could travel a bit further up the mountain road to a small town called Folgaria. It's a popular town for skiing during the winter months and also popular during the summer months for those wishing to have some cooler air.

Also, don't forget to try the local cheese and speck produced in the area. You will not be disappointed!

Thank you, Chillout :) This castle looks lovely!

I especially like to see the world from above, when visiting castles. The view from the tower is always something else!

I think paying a fee to enter is reasonable, considering they do need to maintain a whole castle, and with so many castles in Italy, I don't know how they could do it without the help of the tourists.