Best time to visit Italy.

sanju123

Community Member
Jun 11, 2009
Best time to visit Italy.

Well I would like to know which is the most appropriate time to visit Italy-when the weather is suitable and some festivities are on-any idea pl do share.

Re: Best time to visit Italy.

In general, July is the hottest month and the chance of rain is very slim. In August, the weather is good but it's a national holiday season and whereever you go will be packed full of people and cost more (peak season)

The heat (30'c + every day) is usually from end of May until end of September. September is also a good month for a holiday as it's a touch cooler and less people around.

On August 15th every year is a national holiday called 'ferragosto' which is a celebration of the middle of the summer.

Re: Best time to visit Italy.

Honestly, I don't see how there can be a bad time of the year to visit Italy. Of course, I'm just the visitor, but it sounds like a good country to visit year-round.

As with many different countries in Europe August is when the local people take their holidays so the beaches will be very busy. It will also be hotter in July and August, it often depends what ou are travelling for. If you want hot weather to lay on the beaches then this time of year is ideal.

If I mainly wanted to sight-see, when would be a good time to visit? A trip to the beach maybe, but not necessary. I would prefer there weren't so many people around (so definitely, I won't want to be with the summer crowd). If winters don't get too bad, would it be a good time to sight-see?

If I mainly wanted to sight-see, when would be a good time to visit? A trip to the beach maybe, but not necessary. I would prefer there weren't so many people around (so definitely, I won't want to be with the summer crowd). If winters don't get too bad, would it be a good time to sight-see?

I would suggest the Months of May and September when it is usually warm and sunny but are off peak tourist seasons.

My second choice would be June and July but things start to get hot during these months and being outside under the blazing sun all day is not the best time to be sight-seeing.

Avoid August at all costs as it is peak tourist season. (National Holiday for Italians) and prices are expensive and everywhere you go is full of people.

Winter would also be a good time but can get cold and would be much better spring or autumn period.

I remember once visiting Venice in August. Although i loved Venice as a city it was full of tourist, very hot and sticky which deterred me a bit from sight-seeing again in August.

On the same trip to the north we visited Garda Land. An amusement park located on Lake Garda. Some of the rides we had to queue for well over an hour and the place was packed. Thankfully, they had a very fine jets of water that produced a fresh mist to keep you cool whilst you wait in the queue.

Summary - Avoid August!

Avoid August - duly noted, guys! Thanks for the little bits and pieces. May sounds good. Maybe, two trips would satisfy my curiosity. One during a sunny month and one during a snowy month (Does it snow in Italy?)