Are electric cars popular?

Heather

Community Member
Aug 21, 2009
Are electric cars popular?

In America, the trend is toward more fuel efficient cars. There are a lot of hybrids and cars that are solely electric. Is it popular to drive an electric car in Italy?

Re: Are electric cars popular?

To be honest, In general, i haven't seen that many electric cars. I have seen a number in the centre of florence which makes sense when living in the city. I guess first the petrol stations need to offer 'recharge points' and at present i haven't seen one.

Many car owners in Italy have small cars and all new petrol fuel cars sold nowadays come with the option of GPL / gas. Many petrol stations now offer GPL / gas too and its so much cheaper.

Electric bikes are becoming very popular though for those that live in the city.

From what I know about Europe, most cars there tend to be small; many cities there still have very old sections where the streets are so narrow that even subcompact cars can't drive on them.

I know this is generalizing, but I think once Italian gas (petrol) stations are retro-fitted with recharge points, electric and hybrid cars will probably become the norm.

As an American, I have to say that we're a long way off from using Electric Cars. The hybrids are making advances, but they are just too expensive still. The prices need to fall.