All The Things To See...

Aurelia

Community Member
Nov 10, 2014
Sarajevo
The geography of Italy is specific, from its shape to the position, which had contributed greatly to the development of tourism. You can see a whole range of things in Italy, and if you had the opportunity... where would you go?

Here are some famous places to visit:

- Italian Cities: Don't you just admire the architecture? The perfection? A lot of Italian cities are very old - and the majority were founded in the period as early as the antiquity to the late middle ages, which has greatly shaped the city centres. Rome is obviously on top of the list - the very foundation of the Roman Empire and the Caesars. Pompeii is the third most visited city in Italy - and it's definitely a fine location to visit, especially with the Naples being in the ''vicinity''. Of course, many other cities are on the ''must-see list'' such as Milan, Venice, Florence, Verona and Bari - all of which had, at one point in history, played an important role. This would be my pick, if I were choosing.

- Italian Islands: The most known and the biggest islands are those of Sicily and Sardinia. Sicily may be a more popular tourist destination because of the warmer climate and its proximity to the Italian coast (and a lot of other reasons, as well). There are numerous beaches to visit and places to see. If you're a fan of history, the regions of Agrigento, Siracusa and Ragusa are a must. These were the first trading cubs of the antiquity.

- The Italian Alps: The Alps themselves are very scenic and beautiful. Mountain climbing is also a very popular sport nowadays, including a range of other sports such as skiing - and even if you're not really a sport enthusiast, the fresh air is always good and they say that the view is spectacular
- Italy's Natural Wonders: The beautiful landscapes of the Lake Garda and the Lake Como are the gems of Northwestern region. The natural parks of Abruzzo in the central area are the greenest region in Europe and the Amalfi coast of the south never fails to amaze.

Nice list...
In the cities list, don't forget wonderful Torino, the first capital of Italy and centre of the 19th century unification movement.
Natural wonders- surely Tuscany has to be one of the most beautiful areas, especially the Val d'Orcia. The Marche region too. Damnit, Italy is just beautiful pretty much everywhere!

Here are some famous places to visit:

- Italian Cities: Don't you just admire the architecture? The perfection? A lot of Italian cities are very old - and the majority were founded in the period as early as the antiquity to the late middle ages, which has greatly shaped the city centres. Rome is obviously on top of the list - the very foundation of the Roman Empire and the Caesars. Pompeii is the third most visited city in Italy - and it's definitely a fine location to visit, especially with the Naples being in the ''vicinity''. Of course, many other cities are on the ''must-see list'' such as Milan, Venice, Florence, Verona and Bari - all of which had, at one point in history, played an important role. This would be my pick, if I were choosing.
A little correction, Pompeii is the third most visited attraction not city in Italy. As far as Naples being close, that is an advantage for someone who is flying in but I would never recommend someone stay in Naples without a tour guide. Even with a tour guide I would never recommend anyone going out on their own. I was once waiting for a boat in Naples to take me over to Capri, I decided to get some euros before getting on the boat. It is about a 200 meter walk to get to a bank where I could use the bank machine. I would usually take out 200 euros at a time so I would have money for a few days. In Naples, the max you can take out at one time is 50 euros, this is because of the danger of getting robbed. I had a friend who worked in Naples and took me around, she knew where she was going all the time so she said I had nothing to worry about but she said I should not walk around on my own.

I was traveling alone in Naples and stayed in a Youth hostel, like most places it can be dangerous if you don't know where you are going, but I was sensible and I was fine. I walked everywhere too! I think wherever you are you need to be vigilant and not look like a target, that's why I try to blend in. The markets in Naples I thought were amazing and cheap, as long as you are careful, you should be fine and don't wander off the beaten track.

There is a difference between the city and the countryside, but the islands are the best as they are traditional still and beautiful to relax in IMHO.

Naples is not safe period. Believe it or don't. I am a frequent traveler to Italy and even own a large site about travel through Italy. There is a reason why the banks limit you to 50 euros max. That is not done in any other city in Italy that I am aware of. If you did any real venturing in Naples you would know that the vast majority of the city looks like a war zone and is just as dangerous. You can be walking on a main street with loads of tourists and businessmen and stray one block and get mugged even if you are not alone.

Nice list...
In the cities list, don't forget wonderful Torino, the first capital of Italy and centre of the 19th century unification movement.
Natural wonders- surely Tuscany has to be one of the most beautiful areas, especially the Val d'Orcia. The Marche region too. Damnit, Italy is just beautiful pretty much everywhere!

If I had included every single thing there was, my list would have been endless. I had to make it shorter or else I would still be writing the post - and the question is how many words they would allow. You're definitely right, though, I won't deny it. Torino as the first capital of newly founded Italian country should definitely be on the list. Tuscany is very picturesque too. I'll add it as well. But if you have any more suggestions, I am afraid people won't be able to decide where to go.

Now when I think about it, Italy was among the last European states to unify. Prussia as well - late nineteenth century, I believe. Curious considering that most of the European states had already been formed, but not surprising.

That's a great list :P Although, I think we'd need more lives to see it all!

I have crossed Venice off my list this year. Finally got to see it! I've yet to see many places here in the North, and then I'll probably head on towards the South. I plan on visiting (almost) all the Garda Lake towns, they are so beautiful! I've only been to Desenzano and Peschiera, but plan on visiting Limone and Bardolini, they are a must! I read they're the most beautiful cities on the lake.

I also plan on visiting Lake Como, where I heard the city of Como is amazing. A must see for travel enthusiasts :P

I also recommend the Cinque Terre, it's just such a unique place in Italy!

If I had included every single thing there was, my list would have been endless. I had to make it shorter or else I would still be writing the post - and the question is how many words they would allow. You're definitely right, though, I won't deny it. Torino as the first capital of newly founded Italian country should definitely be on the list. Tuscany is very picturesque too. I'll add it as well. But if you have any more suggestions, I am afraid people won't be able to decide where to go.
Ha ha, fair enough, I was merely pointing out my favourite places :)

I'm a fan of architecture, but I favor beautiful scenery--mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans, woods. Tourist attractions are good fodder for writing stories and snapping photos, but I need to balance all that glittery stuff with the serenity of nature. Where are the natural sceneries in Italy?

Plenty of natural beauty in Italy: Chianti and the Val d'Orcia in Tuscany, and pretty much all of the Marche region, the beautiful Langhe hills in Piemonte, the Dolomites in Lombardia and Alto Adige, the Alpine region of Valle d'Aosta and Northern Piemonte, the Lakes- Como, Maggiore, Garda, the Italian Riviera in coastal Liguria, the Amalfi coast, Sardinian beaches, the wild and rugged landscape of Basilicata and Calabria, Mount Etna in Sicily etc etc...

I'm a fan of architecture, but I favor beautiful scenery--mountains, lakes, rivers, oceans, woods. Tourist attractions are good fodder for writing stories and snapping photos, but I need to balance all that glittery stuff with the serenity of nature. Where are the natural sceneries in Italy?
Do your homework on the "tourist attractions" you speak about before you go and hire a guide when visiting them and they will be far from just good fodder for writings stories and snapping photos. Understand why the colosseum was built or how the Vatican and St. Peters Basilica came to being is the reason why you visit them. If you were to just look at Michelangelo's Pietas as just a statue without knowing the history of its creation you are not enjoying your vacation. Visiting the Sistine Chapel could easily be looked at mediocre art without knowing why each and every panel was created. If you just walk into the any one of the many churches in Rome or most other cities and don't read the placards below the artwork you have no idea what the context of the art is. Most art was done for a purpose in ancient Roman times which the words you write and the pictures you take will never be able to capture or express in writings and pictures.

Speaking of natural sceneries, have any of you ever visited some UNESCO World Heritage sites in Italy?

There are 2 entire cities (that I know of) that are on the World Heritage Sites' list: Verona and Venice. But, since we're talking natural sceneries, how about the Valle dei Templi? (Valley of the temples, in English) It's an archaeological site in Agrigento, and is one of the main attractions of Sicily.

Or, even more beautiful if you'd ask me, the "Parco Nazionale del Cilento, Vallo di Diano e Alburni" (wow, that's a long name to write...) in Salerno. It's a real beautiful place, this park, just Google it and see the images online!

I would want to visit the major historical cities, but the Amalfi coast comes to mind. Relaxing with limoncello and the black sanded beaches of Positano would be nice. You could also go from Amalfi to the Juliane Alps by train.