Agriturismo In Italy

Chillout

Community Member
Sep 10, 2007
Mantova, Italy
An Agriturismo is a farm type accommodation where families have a farm and also offer accommodation. A bit like a bed and breakfast but on a farm.

The meals offered are normally always made using their products such as meats, eggs, bread, wine, olive oil etc..
The hosts are usually very friendly and full of information about the local area.
An agriturismo is also normally much cheaper than a hotel.

The only downside I can think of is that you may need a car to get around as they are almost always out of town.

Have you stayed in one?

I have never stayed in one but I'd love to experience it at some point. It sounds like a lot of fun and it also sounds like you can spend this time on the farm like being on vacation, while eating healthy things instead of fast food and junk. It also seems to me that the air is fresher and it's quite relaxing.

I have also heard about farms where young people go to live in exchange for work.
I don't think they are the same thing though.
So, there are farms where young people go to, work in the garden, take care of animals or do whatever the owner tells them to do and in return they get a place to sleep and food, but no money.
Is it the same thing or is this something else?