Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Will Itаly Еxit Frоm Еu?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs In Italy' started by JimGoodman, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Itаly is оnе оf thе fоunding mеmbеr оf thе еurоpеаn uniоn (ЕU) аnd еurо is thе lеgаl tеndеr in Itаly. Lеаving thе еU will rеsult in hugе inflаtiоn аnd а hоrriblе есоnоmy in Itаly thаn bеfоrе with thеm unаblе tо pаy its dеbts.
    Itаly hаs mоrе сhаnсе оf bеing dividеd intо nоrth аnd sоuth duе tо diffеrеnсеs in сulturе, есоnоmiс аnd gеоgrаphy. Nоrth Itаly in gеnеrаl is riсh with сitiеs оf Milаn, Vеniсе, Flоrеnсе еtс. аnd thеy pеrсеivеd thе sоuth tо bе vеry соrruptеd аnd dаngеrоus whiсh wаstеd thе tаxpаyеrs’ mоnеy intо thе sоuth by gоvеrnmеnt invеstmеnt. Thеrе еxistеd а pоlitiсаl pаrty nоw саllеd Lеgа nоrd whiсh аdvосаtе fоr а sеpеrаtе nоrth Itаly.

What is your opinion guys?

2. I'm from the UK, and as I'm sure you're all aware that we recently voted to leave the EU and in my opinion I would urge Italy to do the same. I voted to leave, and even though that as had a short term negative impact on our economy, I think it will be just that, short term.

There are a lot of countries in the EU that are thinking about leaving and I would say in maybe 20 or 30 years time that the EU won't exist as we know it, and those that are last to leave, will be worse off than countries like the UK who is, and will be one of the first.

3. Nо.
    Thе pоpulist fringе Itаliаn pаrty оnly wаnts tо lеаvе thе еurо, nоt thе ЕU.
    аnd this pаrty is а lоng wаy frоm pоwеr.
    Dоn't gеt thе wrоng idеа. Thе Itаliаn rеfеrеndum this yеаr wаs nоt аbоut thе еu аt аll. It wаs аbоut Itаliаn intеrnаl pоlitiсs аnd hаd а lоt оf оppоsitiоn frоm еurоphilеs

4. I doubt it although many would like to leave the EU. As a country it can cope with things, but the problem of the refugees is becoming a pressing issue with crime and a drain on resources and also the cultural way of life. Slowly people are opposed to the EU telling them they must take them in.

I think many would like to do away with the Euro, but also the land borders are more important now since terrorists are moving across Europe to evade detection.

5. I agree with this. Italy was, in fact, a part of the formation and continued friendship of the EU. To see Italy part, unless for a morally sufficient and honored cause, would be a disgrace.

6. I guess they should learn from Brexit. They voted out of EU and after one week there regrets all over their faces. The solution to independence is not breaking off from. They should negotiate and come up with ways to run their own policies and still identify themselves with the EU.

7. I am not that informed about why countries are leaving and want to leave the EU, but maybe it's because the EU doesn't know how to manage the money we pay from our taxes and ends up distributing that money in absurd ways only some know about. In this perspective we should put an end to it yes, but I am not seeing that happening to Italy or any other country soon.

8. Regret all over our faces? I'm not sure what you have been reading or watching but that couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, it's actually the opposite and all those horror stories that we was told would happen if we did vote to leave haven't materialised at all. If Italy does choose to remain, the more countries that do leave will increase the burden that they will have to shoulder.

It's alright saying as an Italian I want to be part of the EU when there are 20+ countries in there, it's a different story if in the next 10 years that drops down to 5 and then the EU turn around to Italy and the Italian people and say you need to triple your taxes even though you're not going to see anything for your extra money. Would you still be laughing at the UK then? I think not...

9. lol, actually I don't see any regrets in UK people that they left, like @pwarbi is saying.

I think Italy has to think in what is best for their future, but to be honest I fail to understand if it's best to stay or to leave the EU because there are just too many things involved, it's something too complex.

pwarbi likes this.
  10. As a fellow Brit with @pwarbi there are very few regrets over Brexit. If anything, EU countries are afraid that other countries will want their own exit seeing as the UK is sticking to it and is making it work despite opposition.

The Italians will always be more European due to the land borders with France, Austria, Slovenia, and Switzerland. Even before Schengen, people crossed the borders freely and with little red tape, so in that respect they will want to stay in the EU, but may push for reforms.

pwarbi likes this.
  11. The British people voted for what we saw was the best thing for Britain, and if Italian people get the chance to vote themselves, I'm sure they will do what they think is right for Italy.

Not being in the EU doesn't make you any less European though, and I think that's where a lot of people get mixed up. Just because we don't want to be in the EU and be dictated to by Brussels, doesn't mean that all of a sudden we hate our neighbours!

Gabe likes this.
  12. Quite so, people think people in the UK are anti-europe, where it is really anti-EU and the bureaucracy that they didn't sign up for that has changed so much since they first joined.

It's a misconception and people do welcome Europeans, but not when the EU rules force the UK to do things that they oppose with good reason. That's why vetoes are important, and countries that use them are seen to be anti-europe when they are not.

The Italians will decide if and when, but if the referendum in the UK was given say a decade ago, the result may have been different. It all depends on what is happening at the time, and how much EU politics is affecting the country. From what I can see the main issue is immigration and Italy being forced to deal with an influx of refugees and asylum seekers beyond their capacity. Eventually this will trickle down and affect more parts of the country which could cause hostility.

pwarbi likes this.
  13. I might be mistaken, but I do believe Italians voted recently and that the answer was no to the exit. The fact is that most the political parties for some reason seem to be interested in the continuity of EU, but I don't know what improvements it has brought to us. In terms of roads and infrastructures certainly yes, but no more than that.

14. No, the Italians were voting on changes in their own Constitution and how things are run in Italy and was not a referendum about exiting the EU. If it had been it would have been much bigger news. The reason why it was of interest is that the then Prime Minister, Renzi said he would resign if he lost the vote; he did lose and resigned. As he was more left winged, people have assumed that the electorate is taking a right winged stance at present.

Many things could change though, and that is the current feeling at present.

pwarbi likes this.
  15. Wеll thеrе will bе nо еxit, аt lеаst nоt likе thе Brеxit. Thе Itаliаn соnstitutiоn dоеsn’t prоvidе thе bаsis fоr hоlding rеfеrеndа оn Intеrnаtiоnаl trеаtiеs еt.с… Thаt bеing sаid, еvеn thоugh I аm а stаunсh bеliеvеr in thе еurоpеаn drеаm -аs lоng аs it dоеsn’t bесоmе а Gеrmаn drеаm- it must bе sаid thаt Itаly is vеry diffеrеnt frоm Grеесе (аs in, еxit wоuld bе mоrе plаusiblе).

16. Don't you think though that something should be put in place so people can decide for themselves? I'm from the UK and I DID vote to leave and I don't regret that decision. The UK is at the start of a long journey but ultimately I do think that leaving the EU will be a good thing as that European dream you speak about is turning into a nightmare for a lot of countries.

A lot of people as you have also said, are starting to feel that the EU is being controlled by Merkel and Germany and while I'm not going to be as dramatic as to say that they are trying to control Europe like they have in the past (and failed) it does seem as if they think they are the ones that should make decisions for everyone. I'm sure that Italians are more than capable of deciding what is best for their country, so surely giving them that option should be something to look at?

17. Well, it was necessary 30 or 40 years for people to realize that the EU is not working as it should, so it will take a fairly long amount of time for the UK to realize if this call was for the best or not. As for Italy leaving, who knows? It's a big and complex situation really.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. It is a complex situation but don't you think that the Italian people at least deserve to have a say on the matter? This doesn't mean that the government will have to act on what the outcome is, but surely if they know what the peoples opinion is they can THEN make better decisions for the country.

At the moment Italy is in the EU, and it's staying in the EU whether people like it or not, and for a democratic country I'm not sure that's the right approach to take.

19. Sure, we live in democracy, so all of us deserve to have a say, as it happens in the elections. The fact is that governments don't want to put that decision in the populations hands because it has complex ramifications. Governments are in a way puppets at the hands of big economic interests, so UK leaving the EU was in fact a sign that they are independent.