Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

What's It Like Living In Italy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by gh0st233, Nov 9, 2014.

1. How is the living standard and the crime rate? How well can you do with a monthly income? Do you barely go through the month, or do you have a lot leftover after meeting your basic needs? I am very interested in this. Also how is the crime rate there? Is it safe to walk at night, for example, or is that just suicide? Is Italy looking for workers with a high school or a college degree? Where to apply for a job? Thank you.

2. Crime rate and cost of living vary wildly city to city, but living with a monthly income and saving something is still possible.
    Till, say, four years ago finding work was relatively easy and in most places you could safely walk at any time, but now things are worsening, more people get unempolyed and crime rate rises accordingly.

To apply for a job in Italy you must contact some " agenzia interinale " plenty of them in any city, just type " agenzie interinali " ( city name ) in your browser.

3. Ah, thank you for telling me about the agency. How safe is Firenze or Roma? Do these cities have a lot of crime, or is it relatively safe? I don't want to worry if I have to come home after dark, which I will definitely have to anywhere I go to work. What kinds of jobs are there in Italy for someone who's outside Italy, from Europe?

4. Firenze: looks like the rail station is becoming dangerous, but the rest of the city is fairly safe.
    Roma is a really big city, there are safe and unsafe zones, anyway to move for work in Roma you absolutely need a scooter

5. You will also need to get used to driving in Rome! #scary_experience

6. ^ Really? Thanks for sharing this, I've never been but I'll probably take the train anyway :D lol

Back to what's it like living in Italy :)
    To be honest, I feel pretty safe and I actually love this country, despite what the media says, what some people say or what the Internet says (because, most bad news about Italy I see on Facebook... )

The living standard isn't what it used to be, that's for sure, but what I've learned is that most people like to complain a lot. There are so many young people who are unemployed, for instance, which is sad, but most of them don't have a job because they're either too lazy to look for one or they're happy enough living on the backs of their parents. Adults are the same, they complain and complain but don't even bother to look for work and when they do and a job is available in another city, they get mad, because why work in another city, because why move, all excuses :p I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

7. Well, sadly it is the same way here. The unemployment rate is very big (almost 50% I think, maybe even over 50%). It is possible to find a job here, but you have to look very hard and apply to every single job that there is, or what usually happens here is, people who usually get good jobs are the director's family, or they are very close to him. They employ the people they know, from their family, friends and so on, rather than someone who has a degree for it, or someone who has had experience working in that department. Also one more thing I hate about the place where I live is, to get almost any job, you need experience. And if everyone requires you to have experience, how will you get a job and get this experience that everyone wants? Sorry, I am rambling, but this makes me angry. Back to topic on living in Italy. I would definitely love visiting Italy, and I think I would even like living there. I still need to learn Italian, however, I'm not that good at it.

8. I think the crime rate is quite less when compared to many other countries. I do not think it is really very easy to detect too much of crime going on in any place of the city. And the standard of living depends completely on what kind of job you do. If you are well off, then definitely you will have lots of money at your disposal. However, the economy as hit hard quite a few times and people have suffered a lot.

9. Well, obviously a better job will pay more, but what I mean is, if I was to get a job with a high school or a college degree, how good would my salary be? Where I live, 300€ is the average salary, which is quite low. Whereas other countries have average salaries ranging from 500 to 2000€. That is ridiculous compared to our average salary. What's the avg salary in Italy like?

10. For the almost three months that I have lived in Italy. Coming from the States, I did experience culture shock at times but those experiences has opened my eyes to other cultures and lifestyles.

11. Hоw is living in а plасе? It dеpеnds оn yоur tаstе аnd pеrsоnаl situаtiоn.
    If yоu hаvе аlwаys livеd in thе sаmе plасе, it's nоt еаsy tо аpprесiаtе thе gооd аnd thе bаd things withоut а tеrm оf соmpаrisоn.
    In my саsе, I'vе аlwаys livеd in Itаly, аnd еvеn thоugh I'vе friеnds living аbrоаd (оr whо hаd bееn living аbrоаd fоr а whilе) hоw саn I соmpаrе Itаly аnd аnоthеr plасе?
    Gеnеrаlly spеаking I think thаt, if yоur finаnсiаl situаtiоn is gооd, in Itаly yоu саn gеt а high quаlity оf lifе.

12. Yоu might еxpеriеnсе strоng diffiсultiеs tо find а gооd jоb (аt lеаst, if thе situаtiоn is соmpаrеd tо Nоrthеrn еurоpеаn соuntriеs). аs yоu prоbаbly knоw, Itаly is аffесtеd by а strоng есоnоmiс сrisis, frоm еаrly ninеtiеs. Itаly hаs а high unеmplоymеnt rаtе, аnd diffеrеnсеs bеtwееn riсh аnd pооr аrе nоtiсеаblе. Thеrе is а аlsо vаst diffеrеnсе in wеаlth bеtwееn thе Nоrth (riсhеr) аnd thе Sоuth (pооrеr).

13. Its likе living in а pоstсаrd. I lоvе it. Its bеаutiful hеrе. Thе pеоplе аrе vеry friеndly аnd еvеryоnе is sо wеlсоming. оf соursе, I livе in а smаll villаgе in Tusсаny, аnd nоt in thе сity.
    Sinсе I livе in thе "соuntry" wе еаt frеsh prоduсts. Thеrе аrе nоt mаny stоrеs, аnd thе mеnu аt lосаl rеstаurаnts оftеn dеpеnds оn whаt is grоwing in thе fiеlds.