Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Whats Bad About Italy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by pwarbi, Mar 15, 2015.

1. As a new member to the site, I'd just like to ask if anybody as any negative points about the country?
    Having been a couple of times, i have to say from a tourist point of view Italy has everything anybody could want.
    From the vibrant towns to the the quint little villages, through to the museums and architecture and places steeped in history.
    The people are welcoming, friendly and very passionate, the food is amazing...I could go on...

2. You could go on forever, I know :) :) :)

Well, among the bad things that characterize this country, as a whole, is the bad economy. It wasn't always like this, and things start to look better now, but still, seeing a lot of stores and small businesses close down is kind of depressing. On the other hand, I have seen quite a few new businesses open up lately so - fingers crossed - hopefully things will improve!

Other than that... I honestly don't know what to say! Maybe, because of the bad economy, Italians don't have enough funds to invest and/or repair and maintain all famous landmarks and keep them "alive" for the sake of tourism, but if they found the funds to clean up the ginormous Colosseum... I'd say nothing's impossible.

Oh, it is possible, but chances are slim, that you could meet some Italians that are not very.. how do I put this.. pleasant people. I've met quite a few, but it's only normal! Not all people are the same. Some Italians can be cheap, some can be arrogant (or at least, they can seem arrogant to others) but you know, it would be weird NOT to meet people like this. All nations have their good parts and their bad parts :p

3. People are people, they are the same in every country, you'll find good an bad.
    The economy I guess is a big issue but here in England we are also under the impression that even though it's bad it IS on the mend and slowly getting better.
    I guess some people might say the mafia, that can be classed as a bad thing? then again it also adds to the character and history of the country so...
    The plus points certainly outweigh the bad points anyway...

4. Some city streets were very narrow. A taxi ride was like riding a fast roller coaster. Time for appointment were more like estimates. Also we paid a high price for a dinner in the hotel, when we could have saved money by going to a nearby fast food place that we found later.

5. To me, every country has it' bad and good and Italy is no exception. You have to take the bad, along with the good wherever you live. I guess Italy does have narrow streets in most cases. That's all I can think of right now.

6. You guys see the narrow streets as a 'bad aspect'? I thought everyone sees this as the charm of Italy! This is the first time I hear someone say they don't particularly appreciate the narrow streets :)

So, I have to say something in regards to this matter: not all streets are narrow. Sure, there are many neighborhoods with very narrow streets (once, in Venice, I walked on such a narrow street I thought .. hmm.. if I were fat right now, I'd be stuck here for sure!) but the main "via"-s are pretty wide :)

I'd also like to add, since ABC123 mentioned taxi rides, this is another bad aspect! I find them to be so expensive! I mean, the closest airport to my home is 70 km. If I were to take a cab to take me there, I'd pay €100 at least! In my home country, I payed the equivalent of €8 for a ride to the airport.... so I definitely think taxi rides are way to expensive here.

7. High prices, lots of tourists, the shops closing up in August. I mean, EVERY country has its downsides and upsides. I wouldn't let the flaws deter you from visiting. It really is a wonderful destination.

8. I don't thing there is anything negative in terms of being a tourist as long as you know what times the shop and restaurants open and close in the area as they vary and some take a half day in the week off.

To move there and live there is different, as work is harder to find (depending on the area) and also property can be difficult to buy unless it is new, but who wants new in Italy?

9. Thats a good point. To visit somewhere for a holiday and to actually move there and live day to day are two totally different things.
    Its very easy to fall in love with a place when all you have to do all day is relax and take it easy, its very different when your getting up for work every day.

10. This is an interesting question. We see topics in this forum about all the great things in Italy and interesting facts, but we hardly discuss the negatives. One thing that stands out is the economy. However, it may not be this way forever and there are many other countries going through similar situations. I think if I really had to pick something negative about Italy, which is most likely going to stay constant is that it is overcrowded, despite its low birth rate. Italy is one of the most crowded nations in Europe and the traffic can often be awful.

11. There are negatives in every country and Italy is no exception. The vibe here is pretty cool and laid back but if you don't know the language, it can be difficult. Some Italians act kind of snobbish and don't really seem to have patience from other people. Other than that, this place is very laid back.

12. That's the exact impression my family got when they first visited! LOL

I think this can be considered as one bad aspect. But it's not a very accurate aspect :)
    For instance, I noticed many Italians ignore each other completely in the morning, they don't say hello, they act as if they're mad at each other! But that's not the case. It took me a while to stop feeling offended when people didn't say "good morning" to me, it's just how they are! Sure, it's rude, I'll give you that! But they don't do it because they are snobbish or mean, they do it because they've done it all their lives and are used to it.

Another 'weird' aspect, considered as a negative one by my family (especially my brother in law!) is the fact that many Italians will talk to you and, if they consider the conversation is done or if they have to do something else, they will simply... turn their back at you and leave. Without saying anything. They just... disappear!
    At first, I felt offended. I mean... what the hell, we were having a conversation! But then I learned that, well.. it's just how they are. Again, it's rude and uncalled for, especially since my own parents have educed me to be nice and tell people I'm about to leave! But Italians don't do it because they are mean people, it's just something normal for them.

13. It is kind of a relative question. I cannot answer about what the bad things are about living in Italy because I don't live there. I have both family and good friends who do live in Italy and their only complaint is the economy. As a regular visitor there are things that are different than they are in America (which is where I am from). Since tipping is not really a big thing it seems like the follow up service I am used to in the US is not there. Many times I have to ask for the check because there is no real motivation for them to turn the table over. This is not a bad thing, it is just different. Understanding that the schedule is different than I am use to as far as when stores and restaurants are open took a bit but once you know the schedule it is not bad. Also the consistancey of bus schedules, boat schedules, train schedules can sometimes be a bit tricky, specially if there is an impromptu strike.

I really don't think as a tourist there is any negative, it is important to remember you are on a vacation in one of the most popular places on earth so expect the usual crowds and tourist traps that go along with that. I live in Orlando Fl and I can tell you that the quality of everything in Italy geared to tourists (resorts aside) is head and shoulders above what you can expect here.

14. I am not an expert by any means, but I am concerned by the sway the Vatican has over the country. As a tourist this doesn't affect me much however, for me the biggest problem is the unreliability of the trains! Then again, I am British so you'd think I'd be used to it by now

15. Not long ago Italy was Europe's highly touted emerging economy, a society that blended dynamism and super-fast growth with a lifestyle that was the envy of all. Italy's political system is shorn of credibility as it struggles to deal with huge public debts and anemic levels of economic growth.The country is now in its longest recession in 20 years, the economy having contracted for the last six consecutive quarters and languished in more than a decade of almost non-existent growth.Slow-moving, hugely bloated and sometimes alarmingly politicised, Italy's justice system needs fixing.
    If there is one industry in Italy that has not suffered from the economic crisis, it is organised crime. It is a sector that booms year in, year out.

16. The trains aren't that bad, I mean the cheaper ones, you get what you pay for, but weekends have always been hit and miss. I think it's better than in the US where lots of the trains are expensive and don't have a proper schedule even. The trains in the UK really aren't that bad either. I guess I have seen a lot worse in my life hence I am quite forgiving about both Italian and UK trains. I do think the train system can be confusing though, knowing which train your ticket is valid for.

17. The worst part for me was the bad English proficiency. People spoke English well in more tourist-active parts of Rome. But outside of that it was hard to find someone who spoke it well. I remember when I first turned on the TV in Rome I watched an Italian dubbed version of James Bond. That was pretty funny. But, hey, no country is without it flaws and I think Italy more than makes up for them.

18. Being a relatively new member, I'm glad the post as got a response and it was taken in the manner it was written. It wasn't my intention to point out the negatives, just wanted to know what people, italians and people who live and visit there, what they would improve.

19. Oh, I totally agree with you here.
    When I first came here, I didn't know I was going to literally stay, I thought I'd finish with my work and go home so I didn't bother to learn Italian, I thought people were familiar with the English language. I mean, for me (and for my whole home country), speaking your mother language + English is totally normal! I was not pleasantly surprised that I wasn't able to communicate with anyone at first :D

@pwarbi don't worry about it, I think we all understood what you wanted out of this thread. And it's a great debate topic, might I add!

This reminds me, I just thought of another negative aspect.
    If I think about it, I think it's the worst!

Italians are way to patient with immigrants. Many foreigners come here as tourists, but many come here and try to impose their own culture, their own rules, they don't behave in a civilized manner and that's not OK. This has nothing to do with Italians per se, but I don't find it OK that Italians feel they have to put up with this.

I think Italians can sometimes be too good! They give the benefit of the doubt to everyone, and they're the ones who end up getting hurt. They try to be nice to everyone and make everyone feel welcomed, even if the others are rude and insensitive, and personally I think that's not ok.

20. @Rosie well I'm glad nobody was offended!

And that's the same here in the UK, immigration is a big issue here and people are starting to get a little sick of the way the government is acting, or should I say not acting when it comes to dealing with the situation. Apparently within the next 2 years a british person will be a minority in Great Britain.

Would you say that immigration in Italy as played a big part in the economy and job situation in italy, especially for italians?