Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Technology In Education?

Discussion in 'Health and Education' started by ABC123, Mar 25, 2015.

1. So here in the USA, there is a push to install this or that new technology in the public schools. Where I live there is a policy where elementary students can bring their own device to school. I am wondering if this desire to immerse student learning in the newest technology to learn is possibly world wide. It is something Italian education is doing?

2. I've actually heard about the Finnish government doing this - they will teach their children how to write, naturally, but tablets, all those i-somethings and such devices (can't even name them all), and laptops, naturally, can be used in everyday classes (did you want to know about this or something else?). This is the current idea, that is. I also know that the UK is still very much old-school when it comes to education - they resist novelties. So do we in Bosnia, but we do have modern classrooms (TV projectors and such... again, can't even name them all, the technology is not my forte, haha) and we are allowed to bring small devices to school (not laptops, though). I can only assume something similar is in Italy. I'd found something about the Netherlands: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/world/europe/tablets-in-dutch-schools-usher-in-a-new-era.html?_r=0
    The article is called "Tablets in Dutch Schools". As you were wondering about the whole world...
    I'd also found this: http://1to1.eun.org/c/document_libr...ca6-7707-4cfd-abe3-ad62b25ac847&groupId=10334
    The title is "Introducing Tablets in Schools"

Perhaps someone else will have more information. Hope this helped answer your question at least partially.

3. I think trying to integrate tech into education is a fantastic idea. People might see technology as some evil thing that'll corrupt kids but if used correctly, it's very beneficial for learning. I don't think Italy has any plans of adopting this yet, but I guess we'll see if this changes in the future

4. I also believe this is true. Technology can be very useful, however, I also believe that children should jot down notes - I mean, typing in Microsoft Word or some other program can be beneficial and neat, but it's also essential to write things down, practice your hand - I believe that you can't consider yourself as "literate" if you can't write properly and if you don't do so on a daily basis, it's simply... a part of our culture.

But yes, I'm all for it - bring the tablets to school! :)

5. I love technology and I would have loved to learn in a school where I only had to carry my tablet! I still remember how sore my back was from carrying all those books and notebooks and don't even get me started on extracurricular books we had to carry to school!! No wonder most elderly people nowadays have a hunched back!

Well, since I didn't go to school in Italy, except for 2 years of college, I really don't know if they have changed things so drastically. As far as my small college experience goes, I have to say, nobody cared if you come to class with your hands in your pockets or if you carry the entire library with you. There were plenty of students who chose to come to school with their tablet, but you would still need a notebook to write down the important information the professors shared in class.

6. Here in the UK some schools and colleges are implementing this aswell. I think it's a good thing on the whole, just as long as it doesnt take the place of traditional ways of teaching. Its should be aswell as...not instead of.

7. Wow! I did not expect the wide array of comments. As someone wrote about some schools still being "old School", I kind of miss that concept. I agree that the technology should not fully replace the ability to actually hand write and be able to physically take written notes. But then as another mentioned it would be wonderful to have no more heavy books to carry around. I would think Italy may still be an "old School" format. Anyone else have information, please share. I would be interested in reading more.

8. I agree with you Rosie and I empathise. When I was in primary and secondary school, things were exactly the same. I had up to seven classes per day (on rare occasions eight, but it happened) and for every one we had to carry a notebook, a textbook and a workbook - if you were lucky. Sometimes you had to bring an extra book, for example, if you were reading something for literature classes.... I know that I had to carry the extra books in bags - sometimes I looked as if I'd bought a whole bookshop (I exaggerate a little, I admit ;) )! I don't carry so many books now. I realised that I don't really need them - but I do need my back ^^