Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

School System In Italy

Discussion in 'Health and Education' started by Rosie, May 3, 2013.

1. Does anyone know how the school system is structured in Italy?
    How soon do little children start school? What is "scuola primaria", "secondaria" or "terza media" mean? Are they equivalents to high school or gymnasium?

2. Primary school lasts for five years, which I found a little curious, considering that primary education in Sarajevo lasts for eight years (but we do not have the so called ''middle school''). Children can go to kindergarten before the primary education, but they don't have to (same here). It's not obligatory. After five years of primary, there's the secondary school - the middle school and then the high school. You finish your obligatory education until you're 19 years old (in average). This is very similar to other European systems, take Germany, for example. In Sarajevo, we only have two levels (we have skipped that ''middle school'' level, but we have longer primary) and high school isn't equal to ''gymnasium'' (though better term would be ''grammar school''). That's how much I know about the subject.

3. Education in Italy is compulsory from 6 to 16 years of age. The school system is divided into five stages.Italy has both public and private education systems.In Italy a state school system or Education System has existed since 1859.The school system has a good reputation but tends to focus on rote memorization and obedience over creativity.Prmary school begins at age six and continues for five years. Class sizes generally run about twenty five children per class with a minimum of ten students. The next level formerly known as scuola media is now known as scuola secondaria di 1 grado.Students study until they turn fourteen years old. Formerly at age fourteen, compulsory education was considered complete.Students must take and pass an exam before moving up to scuola secondaria superiore or liceo.Higher secondary school lasts five years until the student is eighteen or nineteen years old. The higher secondary schools are voluntary. Students must make a choice about their education at an early age and choose the higher secondary school they will attend.

4. On a similar issue, what is the standard of education in Italy? I know this can differ around the world depending on the country but are students for example happy to study further education in Italy or would they rather move abroad to study?

5. Thanks for your thorough explanation, although I am still a little confused. If compulsory education now ends at age 16 instead of 14 , yet if scuola secondaria superiore, liceo, higher secondary school is voluntary, does this mean that once the student reaches age 16, they can drop out without completed higher education?

On another note, how early is a student expected to choose the higher secondary school they will attend? Are you saying the school chosen does not have to be in their neighborhood?

6. It seems the Italian education system is much like that of the US. We also have 5 years of primary or we call it elementary school, then there is middle school and high school. We also have the requirement of children being in school fro age 6 to 16 and the consequences are quite harsh if parents don't comply. Sometimes, children are difficult and don't want to go to school, but parents are really held responsible for that kind of behavior and they can get dragged through the court system. Is Italy just as strict with there compulsory school attendance requirements?

7. We too call " elementare " the primary school. And yes, elementary and middle are called " scuola dell'obbligo " , compulsory school, and attendance requirements at least in theory are strict.

8. I have only one question regarding this topic. Is the educational system in South Tirol (Upper Adige) different than in remaining Italy? I studied with one guy from South Tirol together and if my memory serves me right the educational system from South Tirol is different than those in Austria. But this does not mean that it is the same like in the other parts of Italy.

9. The italian school system is divided into four steps basically:
    - elementary school (everyone must attend it of course - last 5 years)
    - middle school (same as elementary - lasts 3 years)
    - high school (you are forced to go there for the first 2 years then you can go to work if you want - lasts generally 5 years but there are professional school that lasts even less)
    - university (it depends on the type of faculty you choose).