Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Recycling Vs. Not Recycling

Discussion in 'Legal, Utility And Property' started by Rosie, Feb 22, 2014.

1. What are your thoughts on this?
    I have heard many different opinions, only one thing is for sure though: when the bill comes, I have to pay it :D
    I know it's a "dirty" topic, but it's quite a debated one among Italians these days.

At my old apartment, no one recycled their stuff, we just threw everything in the garbage can, plastic, paper, cans,.. all in the same place.
    Now, in my new apartment, everyone recycles. If you get caught not doing it, you risk getting a salty "multa" (you get a ticket..).

My question is, what are your thoughts on recycling? Why isn't everyone doing it? Why do you think in some parts of a city, you have to recycle, while in other parts, you don't? It just doesn't make sense, yet Italy is one of the countries considered to be civilized.

2. Recycling is a good thing and everyone should do their part in helping the planet to make it a greener place. I live in a small town just outside of Mantova and our rubbish bill is based on how many times we empty the non recyclable bin.

It's actually quite amazing at how little non recyclable waste we produce when things are done properly.

The thing that makes me angry is that the people who live in smaller towns are forced to recycle as much as possible to reduce the rubbish tax, but those that live in larger cities still have the old fashioned bins where they don't recycle and throw everything in the bins.

Surely it makes more sense for the higher populated areas to recycle as much as possible.

3. I'm for recycling, in my "comune" we have to use paper,plastic,organic and everything else.
    Theer are controls and fine (70€) if you don't do a proper separation

4. I'm curious, how exactly do they give you a fine? Does someone 'tell on you'? Or, does the whole 'condominio' get a fine?
    I have heard different stories about how the IREN will give you a fine, but I have no idea which ones are true.
    I do recycle, we have paper, plastic and 'everything else' (there's no aluminium or any other bin, just the three) and I try to respect these rules.

Also, what do you do when you throw away say... a milk carton? it is made out of carton, but it has the plastic cap :D What do you do? Do you cut the plastic out of the carton, do you throw it away in the 'everything else' bin?

5. Recycling is a better option. Why not use again the material which can be perfectly transformed into the brand new production? It would help decrease the deforestation, for example. There's no need to produce plastic stuff more and more If we can use that waste in a wise way.

6. Waste management in Italy is carried out at municipal level and it varies from region to region. You can find roadside bins placed on residential streets. There are usually three types of rubbish like non-recyclable, recyclable and organic waste.

As you know no Government policies will not work well without full cooperation from general public. May be in some areas people are too lazy to use the facilities or they are not well educated of waste management. But the whole world is changing fast and becoming aware of the importance of proper waste management.

7. Recycling is something important because it's just a little effort from us, and we are benefiting the environment. Usually, like @explorer says, cities council is responsible for their cities, and if we have recycling containers right outside our door, our job is practically minimal.