Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Places In Italy With Weird Names

Discussion in 'Travel and Tourism In Italy' started by Rosie, Dec 14, 2014.

1. I bet every single country in this world has at least a few places that have an odd name :) And passing through them is sometimes so refreshing and funny! Especially if you have been driving for a few hours.

Well, Italy has them too :p And there are more than one! This is a top ten of the most funny-named places in Italy. They're located all over the country, and of course, they are small towns and villages, they're not extra famous. Well, not all of them, I've actually herd of Troia (means slut, in Italian)

I only wonder, who named these? And what puzzles me more is... why?
    Can you imagine someone asking you where are you from, and you answering "I'm from Purgatory" :rolleyes: :cool:

2. There is a town called Capracotta, which means "cooked goat" in Italian. How did these towns get such odd names? There are plenty of towns in other parts of the world with funny names as well, but I'm just wondering what occurs to lead to such names. I'm just wondering about the thought process that went on.

3. There is a small town in the province of Reggio Emilia called Sesso which translate to sex in English.

4. Ok the names of theses towns are pretty fun when translated to English. I wonder what the history behind the names are.

5. I was also wondering what the history is behind names such as these as in the modern day, and translated into English, they may seem odd now but in the past there would have been a particular meaning behind them.

6. Yeah I think so too. I'll be sure to ask an elderly should I cross path with these towns.

7. I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, Troia is a city Apulia and it means hooker. Ironically, it is also a commune and there is a really nice Cathedral there.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. Sounds like my kind of city!!! Joking of course, haha.

Like I said though, it does make you wonder just when and where these names were introduced as I'm not sure these days anybody would think that's a good name for a city...or would they?

TuttoItaly likes this.
  9. Troia means Troy. Trojan war = Guerra di Troia in italian.

Then in some unknown way troia assumed the alternate meaning of " female pig ". And from this other meaning came the actual translation " hooker "

10. So I'm guessing the name of the city would have originally been because of the first meaning, and trojanesque rather than the female pig or hooked it later got made into.

That would really make more sense...although I still think a city called hooker brings up alsorts of possibilities!

11. I don't know of any towns that have funny names but it is interesting to hear them. I also wonder how these names originated.
    I know a lot of Italian surnames come from the place their ancestors originated. I wonder if these are common last names as well.

12. There is a hilltop town called Orgia. It is my understanding that the translation is "orgy". Orgia is suppose to be a good tourist spot.

13. The first one I thought of was Casa del Diavolo which in English translation would be "The Devil's House" - not sure I would want to live there!! I feel like every country has some weird/quirky place names!

14. Here are a few: