Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Marijuana To Be Legalized In Italy?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs In Italy' started by notyourcommodity, Jul 27, 2015.

1. I read this article online about the likelihood of marijuana being legalized in Italy. Here's a snippet:

Italy may well be on its way to becoming the largest country in Europe to legalize marijuana. An Italian tracking group has found that more than 250 lawmakers from across the political spectrum have given their support to a proposal that would largely decriminalize production, distribution, sale and consumption of marijuana throughout the nation.

The leap may appear far-fetched for a country that just 10 years ago voted in a draconian anti-drug bill that removed any distinction between hard and soft drugs, increasing sentences for pot smokers and heroin addicts alike.

Do you have any thoughts about what this will do for Italy? Do you think it might possibly increase tourism? I know people who used to travel through Europe and head to Amsterdam for the sole fact that marijuana was legal there.

2. The legislation or at least the decriminalisation of marijuana is on the cards for a lot of countries in the near future. I'm not going to get drawn in to the whole drugs debate, but what I will say is depending on how it's done, and how much control the authorities have over it, will be the key aspect in all this.

Amsterdam is obviously the place that I think a lot of countries will look at now to see how they have handled it, and while controlling a substance in a city is entirely different than in an whole country, I do think how it's handled in Amsterdam should be followed.

3. My meaning is that the legalization of marijuana shows only that also a lot of politicians have also at least tried marijuana. Please do not forget that the Netherlands has nothing to show the tourists excepting drugs and prostitution. This is the capital of the country but looking to the capital of Italy and a lot of other big cities inside the country the tourists have a big choice of what to do excepting taking drugs. There is a strict "No" from my side to legalize that.

4. Well, I too, will not get into the pros and cons of this situation. Yet in response to your question it may increase tourism, but on a larger scale it would bring in huge revenues for the country that go untapped, have an impact on crime, etc.

I did read the entire article from your exert. What puzzled me was the mention of the Pope remaining quiet on this issue. I did a quick search and found that Pope Francis opposed the legalization of marijuana, but this was back in June of 2014, so as the current article points out, the Pope has not spoken out this year on the issue of legalization. I wonder, if he is going to change his stance? Some may think the Pope's opinion may not have much of an impact, but as a fellow Catholic, I tend to think it does. Time will tell.

Marijuana Legalization In Italy: 250 Italian Lawmakers Support Cannabis Decriminalization Proposal
    July 25 2015
    Marijuana Legalization In Italy: 250 Italian Lawmakers Support Cannabis Decriminalization Proposal

Pope Francis Says No to Legal Pot
    Pope Francis said Friday that drug addiction is 'an evil' and legalization 'in no way resolves the problem.'
    June 20, 2014
    Pope Francis Says No to Legal Pot

Marijuana news: Pope Francis opposes legalizing recreational drugs
    June 20, 2014
    Marijuana news: Pope Francis opposes legalizing recreational drugs

5. I can't see why it would increase tourism, or the wrong kind perhaps? Italy is a major tourist destination for holidays and weekend breaks, the only thing that puts people off is the Euro, but as that has fallen It don't think Italy has problem attracting tourists. The Vatican brings in millions of people whatever the season.

The concept of legalizing marijuana seems to go against the catholic principles, so I imagine despite support there will be religious pressure to drop it. I imagine the mafia would just use their power and control things legally, so it's not a good idea at all. Beside the conflict religiously, it means people will have to declare earnings on it and I doubt many would wish to do that.

6. We have to be against the idea, at whatever cost. We are looking forward to live in drug free societies. Those who want it to be legalised might also want other drugs to be legalised. We have to stop that and be against the idea.

7. Morally I think the church will have some say, I mean it's a country where premarital sex is still frowned upon let alone allow drugs to be legalized. With the current border issues as well, it could create a drug route for other countries and that isn't something to be encouraged.

Guns, and people trafficking are smuggled through Europe, so if this was made legal, there are other consequences that could arise. Whenever something is a commodity, someone will find an underhand way to profit.

8. Some of my Italian friends say many people are actually doing marijuana. It's not that difficult to get it. I doubt it will happen during this decade but maybe the whole world would change its attitude towards weed in like 20-30 years.

9. Well, I think it may happen eventually, but the time doesn't seem to be now for legalization. I mean I am sure plenty of people are doing it in the comfort of their own home. It is that way world wide. I think that it is just one of the options that seems like it will happen.

10. Can't wait to see some marijuana shops opening up right next to my favorite pizzeria. :D

11. Well that will certainly be an interesting little experiment for the country. I have to say that I am a little surprised to hear the news, though, because when I was there I was always told that the policies around drugs were pretty harsh. Maybe I was just talking to the wrong people though, because it would seem unlikely that they would make that switch in such a short amount of time, but maybe the political atmosphere is just different there too.

12. I think Italy -and every other western country- should legalize Marijuana. Let's be honest: How many of you would smoke marijuana if it was legalized? Do you think that you need these laws to protect yourself from marijuana, as if you were some kind of zombie without any moral values? Banning drugs is not the way to achieve a better society.

13. I don't see why not. If they tax it enough, if they regulate it, and make sure minors wouldn't be able to have access to it, I don't see the problem. Marijuana isn't really a huge cause of injuries or even drug overdoses, and the worst thing it can do is increase the sales of cookies or something. I have not seen incidents that were caused by marijuana, and I don't even use them, but I don't see a problem with it. It would be a great source of additional income for Italy if they are successful there.

14. It seems that one of the main arguments that gets brought out regarding legalising marijuana us the fact that more and more people will smoke it if it's made legal, but I don't think that's going to be the case at all.

If you don't smoke marijuana now, just because it's legal doesn't automatically mean that your going to start smoking it in the future, and as far as I'm aware, there isn't any proof that will happen either.

15. I really cannot say if legalizing marijuana will make more people smoke it or not, but when comparing it to alcohol or tobacco I do wonder why these last two are legal and marijuana is not, is there such a big difference?

The fact that marijuana is decriminalized can also relieve the courts, so it ends up having advantages at other levels.

Chillout likes this.
  16. It really don’t understand why they just don’t legalize marijuana and regulate the sale of it in the same way they do with tobacco.

I do agree that there should be some kind of rules as to where it can be consumed such as in licensed bars when in public places but one should be free to do what they want in their own homes.

17. I understand it's not an easy decision because one thing is to legalize and another thing is to decriminalize and those are two different things. Also, I think that Italy is a somewhat traditional country, so I don't know up to what point this would be seen as a good measure at the eyes of the voting population.

18. If the use of marijuana is decriminalized my worry is that there are going to be cases of abuse and a corresponding social problems and ills would arise. In my judgement a big NO to legalizing marijuana as the negative ripple effects from indulgence would most likely outweigh any benefit derived from the legalization.

19. People always find a way to go around the laws so most likely that is not an issue. I was recently in Amsterdam and they manage to live a normal life with all the coffee shops, so I don't think that it would cause any social issues. At the end of the day it's a drug though, so what benefits can it bring right? Apart from economic, none.

20. Banning marijuana even in our countries has never been the best approach to avoid it's usage. Despite the restrictions, people still consume marijuana. Italy isn't making a mistake legalising marijuana. They have the strong policies which they can use to control the use of marijuana. Amsterdam is doing it and any other country can do it too.