Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italy Develops Quick Ebola Virus Tester

Discussion in 'Health and Education' started by Rosie, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Ok, so the world has officially gone mad, but it's better to be safe than sorry right?

It seems that Italians have managed to develop some sort of a portable Ebola tester, it's a kit that can quickly detect whether a person has been infected with the Ebola virus or not. Ok, quickly is about 1 hour and a half.

Now, I'm not really sure if Italy deserves all the praise, since other countries have developed their own kits for detecting the virus. Great Britain invented one, some students in the USA did it, China got involved as well and I'm sure other countries have their own Ebola detecting devices.

What makes Italy's kit different is that the device is able to detect the virus in the early stages, which constitutes an advantage, of course. At least that's what the National Institute for Infectious Diseases Lazzaro Spallanzani assures us.

2. This test that the Italians have helped to develop is really interesting. It is convenient, being portable, and also extremely accurate using only a few microlitres of the patient's blood. I don't really like drawing blood, so that seems like a lot to me, but in reality it is a tiny amount. Apparently this kit employs PCR techniques, and simultaneously detects the virus, identifies it and quantifies. This would be so useful for the doctors and aid workers currently helping the effected nations, who have developed Ebola-like symptoms. They would know in a short (75 minutes) time the diagnosis of their condition. This is great news for the fight against Ebola in Italy. This follows some unfortunate news of the first Italian to have contracted the virus a few weeks ago, but is a step in the right direction!