Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italians stll shy on safe sex

Discussion in 'Health and Education' started by Veronese, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Italians stll shy on safe sex

Only one out of two Italian women use safe contraceptive methods during sex, while just one out of three took precautions when they had sex for the first time, according to a new report.

The study was drawn up by the Italian Gynecology and Obstetrics Society (SIGO) ahead of the first World Contraception Day, which will take place September 26.

Looking at the study, SIGO national consultant Emilio Arisi said “the picture which emerges is alarming and confirms the need to continue our battle to inform and educate”.

A poll of 1,100 young women included in the report showed that 90% had already become sexually active and had their first experience at the age of 17.

Sex was an “act of love” for 60% of those interviewed, while only 2% said they were opposed to premarital sex.

Although most of the women interviewed considered themselves well-informed on contraceptive methods, “46% taught themselves and it shows. For 20% of the women quizzed,coitus interruptus is an effective method and they only practice this,” Arisi observed.

2. That was a very good research. May I ask one thing, it doesn't seem to say why Italians are shy on safe sex. So, are they shy on safe sex?

3. It seems to be a comprehensive survey, I have also gathered similar views from whatever I have studied over at internet. Things are supposed to be better as it has been found that people are opening up on this issue.

4. Shocking statistics really in this day and age.

Of course the ultimate question would be why do they not use any 'safe' contraception at all.

5. Shocking is the right word. With the threat of AIDS alone, you'd think people will be cautious. Of course, I don't really know the AIDS stats for Italy. Worse, though, is just how casual of a subject it seems to be for the young. Personally, I think that's a shame. I'm more traditional in my values and beliefs.

6. This is just he same thing in my country. Most of the teenagers are eager to have sex at an early age and most of them don’t want to use condoms because they are saying that it doesn’t feel the same.

7. It's the same in all countries :D All teenagers are curious and, come to think of it, we were all the same way when we were at the beginning.

However, I noticed that now there are many vending machines on the street, near pharmacies, selling condoms. I wonder if people really use them. Buying a condom at a vending machine might just save you the embarrassment of having to face the person selling it to you (the pharmacist). Plus, if you want to... you know... late at night, after you came out of a club or something, you can buy protection from any of these machines.

There really are no more excuses these days for teenagers (or even grown ups) to have 'accidents'.

8. I think it is quite sad that people do not prefers to have safe sex even in these era. I hope that the Italian universities and schools teach the students very well on the importance of safe sex. Having a vending machine is just not enough, people should know the importance of it and correctly use it. I hope some kind of awareness programs starts to make the people completely aware of the importance of safe sex.

9. I think the lack of contraceptive protection might have a lot to do with the fact that Italy is a predominantly Catholic country and that children are regarded as "a gift from God". In my view it has a lot to do with conditioning from an early age on. It has little to do with education but more with customs, traditions and acting in certain ways that have been the "norm" for a long time.

10. I think that people these days are still misinformed about the importance of safe sex, they don't realize that it's something that can change their whole life and they only seek pleasure. A lot of awareness needs to be created, by parents and government.

11. Vending machines aside, how easy it is to get condoms from universities, medical offices, etc? In other countries these places often give away condoms for free, and to everyone, eliminating the need for people to seek out condoms or be embarrassed about asking for them. If the doctor just gives a "goodie bag" that contains condoms, there's no embarrassment (though there really shouldn't be any anyway). That being said, it's probably more of the preference for "au naturel".

12. Going back to the Catholic element, is the lack of contraception awareness partly because the authorities aren't keen to encourage the promotion of condoms because it infers that people have sex? It's good that there are vending machines but if pre-marital sex is implicitly frowned upon there are probably less of the necessary sex education conversations going on in the school system.

13. That could be an important factor Onionman. The church has never supported condoms or other anti-conceptive measures, so that can work as an inhibitor for that use, especially in Italy that as the Vatican. Hasn't the Pope expressed himself about this issue?

14. I got the impression that this Pope was relatively more liberal than previous versions in terms of sex. Whether or not he is, the establishment has defined the narrative about the rights and wrongs within sex for the last many centuries. That alone is probably going to shape peoples' attitudes.

15. It's pretty shocking news coming from a developed country. There is no problem with sex, but everyone should be doing it safely. Unplanned pregnancies and STDs are never a good thing. I think the problem is people are misinformed, thinking unprotected sex makes it mean more. I'm thinking the Catholic church is partly to blame as well. Education and pure facts are key to stop this.

16. A few weeks ago, a local newspaper announced that there were some books available now, regarding sex ed. for children, and that some schools were planning on using them. The schools were thinking of introducing sex ed. lessons to everyone age 13 and over. When I saw the link (I can't find it though, someone shared it on Facebook, can't remember which newspaper...) I thought WOW! Finally! The books they were gonna use spoke about love and feelings and sex, and I recall they even spoke about relations between same sex people.

Now, in Italy, they don't have a law that makes these lessons mandatory. Many politicians have tried to do something about it but nobody seems to care.... which means these lessons cannot be imposed on students, but they would be an optional thing. The article in the newspaper also said that parents had to be the ones to decide whether their child will attend these lessons or not. In other words, it's up to the parents to decide if they want their kid to learn about sex or not.

Why am I bringing this up?
    Because I was disappointed to see the mass number of people against sex ad. in schools!
    There were many who embraced the idea, but there were also many who said this is not OK, because a child should learn about sex from their parents at home. The problem is though... how many kids feel comfortable hearing their own parents talk about sex? I think this could end up traumatizing a lot of 13 year old kids! There were actually some studies made, on teenagers, and it turns out about half of them are uncomfortable talking about sex with their own parents. I'm actually one of them, to be honest.

17. Italians are open and honest with a natural calm when speaking about sex and it is the parents responsibility to tell their children about it. We feel that the way you are raised is the way that you will behave when you are older and getting the information from the parents helps with the understanding that it is about love and not lust.... and somewhere inbetween.

18. I wonder if this is mainly due to the close proximity of the vatican and the Church's views on contraception. I believe Pope John Paul ll wrote a book on this topic even, so it is a big deal.

To summarize what I read, sex is an act of love between two people, and by doing so you are open to the chance of conception, that shows your love, and also shows your act isn't just mere lust. Using contraception turns sex into just fulfilling lust when there is no possibility a baby can be conceived. So though it's ok to recommend coitus interruptus as a way to prevent pregnancies, there still exists the possibility of pregnancy there, and that is the point of committing the act, expressing your love and agreeing to the possibility of becoming parents from it.

Now don't quote me on all that :confused:

19. The statistics on safe sex in Italy are quite interesting, particularly because the Italian birth rate is in decline. So, women must be using some kind of birth control, perhaps only an oral form. I think it does have something to do with the Vatican being in close proximity and that many Italians are Catholic. It may be a cultural thing to romanticize sex snd a contraceptive doesn't fit into the picture.

20. This isn't shocking to me. Italy as well as other countries around the globe don't use abstinence and have unsafe sex. This day in age, nothing seems to surprise me, especially coming from a sexual culture. Italy has a romantic culture, so you should expect the statistics to be this high.